Win XP Pro 64 bit edition

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Win XP Pro 64 bit edition

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:44 am

Wondering if others are using this, and how they fair with it in MSCAD 2005. Any comments appreciated.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:35 am

From what I understand the IntelliCAD engine has not been tested under this OS so MSCAD2005 is not yet officially supported under this OS.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

64 bit

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:49 pm

Gday Glen I gathered that thanks. I still bought a new dualcore win64 bit machine and it works very well so far with win xp pro (32 bit). Actually it goes like the clappers - very very slippery. I opened an old job and uploaded a 250mb aerial photo and the results were phenomenal - no lag in dragging and zooming. Its got a good graphics card so that would help. Seems 64 bit isn't supported - fullstop. Even the hardware suppliers over here (nor Microsoft Australia) couldn't help my supplier getting things to work in 64 bit config. regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby shamus » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:06 pm

The reason you cannot get things working in 64bit is because it sounds like you are still using a 32 bit OS. If you had a 64bit OS things would work in 64bit. One of the main advantages of a 64bit OS is that you can access more RAM. In win xp pro (32bit) you really can only use 2gb of ram. Under a 64bit OS that threshold is bumped way up.
shamus

win 64

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:33 pm

I started with Win XP Pro 64 bit OS. Ill tell whole story -
Following a disaster with a new PC where it got wiped out by power spikes during windy weather I then bought a replacement and a UPS battery backup. My new PC decided to not work after a short while, had it looked at nothing found but it came back working. During a period of severe power outages where the power went of and on for a while it finished of my PC for good. Belkin acknowledged their device hadnt worked and sent me a replacement and a claim form to get my PC replaced.
As it was a pretty swish machine (before it died) my PC guy offered to build a 64 bit system with dual core running Raid. He got it all to work with WIN XP PRO 64 bit. Itd recognise the raid and run ok. Shut down it;d fire up and wouldn't then recognise which drive to boot from. Neither the hardware suppliers nor Microsoft Aus could solve the issue. I needed my PC and we opted for normal 32 bit op system. It goes like the clappers and I'm very happy but it doesn't say much for 64 bit. I feel its a bit early (at least here). That said I noticed HP ad in local paper displaying some new PC's running 64 bit windows aimed at CAD users. Never seen CAD singled out before - usually all for gamers
Richard Sands

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:54 am

We have recently put a WinXP-64 bit machine together and it is working well. Sounds similar to Richard's. It has high-end everything (graphics card, memory chips, etc.) and it performs very well on a large project with 25 ortho-image tiles.

That being said, our computer guy who built it (an independent consultant) had some trials. There were all kinds of hardware and driver issues that had to be solved, and conflicts over our network where all the other machines are standard WinXP pro machines. As he put it, "it was a worth-while learning experience". We are very fortunate in that this guy is top-notch - the best computer guy I have dealt with in 20 years (about 7 life times in the world of computers). So my advice is don't go there until you have someone available who has built and configured a 64-bit machine before.
Ron Mak

Return to MicroSurvey CAD