Creating break line text file that is usable by AutoCAD LDD

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Creating break line text file that is usable by AutoCAD LDD

Postby PumbaaSersh » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:59 am

I am working a project for our local municipality and they require a break line text file. MicroSurvey does create a break line txt file, but it is completely usless to anything else. How do I create a break line text file that is usable by AutoCAD LDD.

The required format is: PT#,N,E,ELEV,1 to start a line and 0 to keep the line going. Can anyone outthere please help me!?!

By the way, I'm using MicroSurvey CAD 2004 if that means anything to your help.

Ian
PumbaaSersh

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:06 am

I am sorry but MSCAD can not create the file type you are asking about, to work with LDD. The breakline file we generate is for use with MSCAD and QuickSurf.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby PumbaaSersh » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:45 am

Thanks for the reply. Not the news I needed to hear.

We are now being required to provide this file by local companies. And seeing how MicroSurvey can not provide it, we will probably have to look at moving away from MicroSurvey to AutoCAD.

Now my question is, why does MicroSurvey NOT provide this format? And will this be corrected in newer versions?
PumbaaSersh

breaklines

Postby Vincent Popish » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Hi:
You could try to go under the Modeling menu, export data, surface data, write ascii, breaks. Then open the resulting file in a spreadsheet and make the changes you need by using find and replace and inserting point numbers. I have had to do the reverse before, convert breaks that were not in the right format for mscad and got it to work that way.
Hope this helps,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:06 am

With all the years that LDD and MSCAD have been on the market, the number of requests for us to build in the option to export a breakline file from MSCAD in a format that LDD can use, can be counted on 1 hand.

When you supply a DWG file to a company using LDD, they can simply create their own breakline file by selecting the 3D linework that you used in MSCAD. To keep it simple, if you place all breaklines on a particular layer, they can then easliy window all of the linework on that one layer. They would then be able to write the same file out, as they are asking for from you.

The same issue comes up with the TIN file format (we use a QSB file that they can not read, so the TIN has to be drawn to the job so it can be extracted by them), or anything else related to the surface modelling routine.

We simply do things differently than LDD and do not produce files that LDD can use - the same as they do not create any files that we can use.

The DWG file contains what both we and they need. If organized on specific layers, and drawn in 3D, both programs can use the data as required.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

breaklines

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:06 am

I get asked for DTM info for LDD users and they are always happy for me to send 3D polyfaces generated by MSCAD modelling. There must be a way to extract the breaks as I once sent a job without any and was asked why there were none.
Maybe the end users could try using the 3D polyface? Talk to them about that, Can you give them a job to try.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby PumbaaSersh » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:29 am

Thank you everyone for your help!!!! Mr. Cameron & Mr. Sands, your help has been VERY useful. Thanks again!!!
PumbaaSersh

Postby PumbaaSersh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:38 am

Thank you again to everyone who sent help. I'm just wondering why no one told me I could draw the break lines into the drawing as a separate entity? Oh well, everyone in this office now knows about it. And for everyone else out there who needs to create this accursed breakline ascii points file, you can just draw the breaklines into your drawing on the layer of your choosing. Our local municipality found this to be acceptable.

You will find this command under MsModeling / Breaks. Enjoy!!
PumbaaSersh

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:12 pm

Sorry, I assumed that the original linework could be used by the agency requesting the breaklines, so you would not have to draw them a second time using our command.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD