"LAYCONF" in MSCAD 2005?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

cbunker

"LAYCONF" in MSCAD 2005?

Post by cbunker » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:35 am

We've recently moved to v2005. In v2002, I used the "LAYCONF" command quite often to save layer snapshots. Is there an equivalent command in v2005? Or something similar?

Chris
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4

Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Post by Brian Sloman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:31 pm

The closest thing is the Layer Groups, under MsTools > Layer Control > Group. You can create groups of layers which can be frozen/thawed together, but it's not quite the same as the LAYCONF command.

artb

layconf alternatives

Post by artb » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:40 pm

I, like you, miss the layer configuration that the older versions supplied.

I have utilized paper space viewports to provide some alternatives. When you double click on a viewport you can freeze, thaw, not print various layers that are specific to that viewport by going to the layer manager when the viewport is hilited after the double click.

This at least allows you to view or not view various layers on any viewport. I find it especially helpfull when printing out final plans, prints for field work, to show different layers for specific purposes that I used to use the layer configuration to accomplish.

This may be an option that may work for you

artb
artb

Richard Sands

layconfig

Post by Richard Sands » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:01 pm

I agree this is avery useful tool But it comes with a caveat. I would prefer the option to only apply the config to the layer configurations and or these and the attributes of the objects in the darwing. It was very frustrating to apply laycofig after making some attribute changes to objects to find all was undone when invoking this command. I would welcome a quick and easy way to save layer configurations (on/ off/ locked etc) independant of what colour etc is assigned to invidual objects.
I never found grouping of layers worked succesfully for me. regards Richard