Lost Data on DC Upload

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Lost Data on DC Upload

Postby GEM » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:24 am

I run MSCAD 2004 and have some trouble with lost data during DC uploads. I use the onboard data collection on a Nikon DTM 522. I have noticed that I sometimes lose data (such northings) on the upload to the gun. I have checked the upload files and they look ok (have all the data). Just the other day I lost northings for 50 or so points on the upload to the gun. The other 300 points seemed to be ok. Anybody have a similar issue or any help.

Thanks.
GEM

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:49 am

Some collectors can not accept data as fast as we send it - depending upon what baud rate you use.

I would suggest slowing the baud rate down to 2400 or 1200 for uploads.

Many collectors can download to the computer at a very fast baud rate but upload at a very slow baud rate.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

lost data collector data

Postby GEM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:00 am

I checked the baud transfer rate as suggested. However, the rate was already set to 1200. I checked the data file and it appeared fine, but upon transfer from MSCAD to the Nikon DTM 522 gun, north coords were lost. This time, it appears that more points have lost north coords. Is there another transfer software that I could try to solve this problem. Thanks.

GEM
GEM

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:34 am

Check your gun and see if it is in fact running the DTM500 format software or if it is running another format. Purhaps the 300/400 format will work better for it.

The DTM500/700 format we export is a simple ASCII file, maybe the delimiter is set incorrect for it.

The DTM300/400 format is not a normal ASCII file as it is a formatted file.

Double check with Nikon to see what they recommend for that unit.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Lost Data during Nikon instrument upload

Postby GEM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:24 pm

I have checked the Nikon manual and electronic version manual and I can not find any provision to determine which software is actually on the Nikon instrument. I have checked with TDS/Nikon and they say use Nikon's transfer software . I'll be disappointed if I have to buy additional software since I bought the Microsurvey software expecting to be able to upload to my instrument. Thanks for your consideration.

gem
GEM

Postby Glen Cameron » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:07 am

Have you tried the other formats, as I mentioned above?
Does the Nikon support any other formats that we could try (SDR as an example)?
I have not had any other Nikon users have any problems uploading, so I am not sure what else I can suggest.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD