Editing Target Heights

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Editing Target Heights

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:37 am

I completed a topo using a small prism rather than the standard size. This created a difference of about 5cm between the actual target hieght and the height read from the pole. Rather than correct each shot individually I simply recorded the height as read from the pole with the expectation that I could easily correct it later in the raw data editor. It appears that you have to edit each shot there individually as well. Even cut and paste didn't work very well. Is there a better way?
Glen A. Quarmby

Target Height

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:10 am

It might be easier to edit the raw data file that was downloaded from the instrument, to change the rod height. The target height is used on every shot so it would need to be edited on every shot in MSCAD. With the raw file, you can edit it in Wordpad and then do a search and replace on a set of unique characters, to change them all at the same time. Then process this file in MSCAD and the changes will show up in the traverse file.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

use excel

Postby kevin » Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:38 pm

if you use microsoft excel in this instance you can easily adjust all your shots quickly. Simply export your microsurvey data to an ascii file and then import the file into excel (as a space or comma deliminated text file). Insert a new column beside your current elevations. In your new column use a simple function to take you original elevation and subtract 0.05 (if your elevations are in column D, and your new column is E, use the formula "=d1-.05") and then copy this function down the column for all your shots. It will then adjust all your shots accordingly. What you have to do next is convert these formulas to values by using the copy and paste special (values) command. Highlight all values in the new column, hit copy and then from the 'edit' pull down menu hit paste special and then check the 'values' option. Once these have been converted to values you can delete the column containing your original elevations and save this text file. Now just import this ascii file back into microsurvey and you're ready to go.
kevin

Postby R.S. Crispin » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:27 pm

I realize this is a bit slow off the mark but couldn't you export your control point coords then shift all the points by n/e/el the re-import your control.
Just a thought.
Rod
R.S. Crispin

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Thu Dec 05, 2002 5:50 pm

Thanks for the thought.
Unfortunately this topo was along a road alignment and consists of several controal stations. A simple shift would have to be applied to all of the points shot from each setup and ech shift would increase by 0.05.
It could be done but I was hoping for a simpler solution.
Glen A. Quarmby

Return to MicroSurvey CAD