Coordinate Transformation

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

carl

Coordinate Transformation

Post by carl » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:47 pm

I seem to be having the same problem as Pinobar from May4/06. I am trying to transform some coords from NAD27 Zone 12 to NAD83 Zone 12. I import the NAD27 coords and when I do the transform I get a statement "Error performing coordinate conversion" and all the points are shifted to N0.0, E0.0. What's up?

But the way I'm using MS2002, SP2.

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:33 am

Firstly, I want to say thank you for reading the older posts to find a similar one to your situation.

The original coordinates already have to be at the correct position for the first datum, to be converted to the second datum. Being I do not have any valid data in your original datum, do you have a few coordinates that are in the Current Datum, that you can give me, so I can test the transformation?

If so then please email them, along with all the details of the datums you are using, to my email below.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:45 pm

On first try I was able to duplicate the errors you had reported. So I did some digging and had another person dig into it as well to confirm our findings and solution.

For Canadians, we must also have the NTV2_0.GSB file copied into our program folder. Once this file is on your system, the transformation works as expected.

If you do not have a copy of this file, the easiest way to get it would be to download and install the following program http://128.121.250.210:8000/FieldGenius ... Editor.exe which should bring up this dialog:

I would save the file and run it later via Windows Explorer.

It will have a lot of other stuff with it that you do not need (this was created to work with our FieldGenius data collector with GPS units), and the program can be uninstalled later, once we get what you need from it.

When it is installed you can go to Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: “C:\Program Files\MicroSurvey\FieldGenius 2006 Datum Grid Editor\Mapping\GridData\Canada” and copy the NTV2_0.GSB file from this folder to the following folder: “C:\MSCAD2002\mscad\mapping\Data”.

If there is already a file there, over-write it because it is either corrupt or incomplete.

Now when you to the transformation, as you had described to me, it should work correctly for you.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

carl

Post by carl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:20 am

Glen,
Thanx for the reply. I have finally had a chance to work through your instructions and it worked. Fortunately we have a copy of the NTV2_0.gsb file that is used by another software package so scrounging that file wasn’t a problem. Once I actually read all the way through instructions so that I knew what folder to put it in I got it working no problem.

I had been supplied with a new computer recently and had to re-install Microsurvey. Evidently I had that gsb file on my old computer but not on my new one.