MSJ Directories

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSJ Directories

Postby Wes Mossing » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:17 am

Why is the database directory (*.msj) being left open? I have found that I can just delete the msj directory and the msd file still holds the database with the coordinated points but in previous versions that directory closes as you close your drawing. It always makes me nervous deleting those directories! :)
Wes Mossing

MSJ

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:09 am

The MSJ folder is where we uncompress the database file (MSD). Normally if you close the job or program, the MSJ folder is compressed back into the MSD file (as it is every time you save as well) and then the folder is removed. We did have an issue with Windows NT not removing the folder, in a previous version of MSCAD. Also if you have any type of crash then the MSJ folder would remain. As long as you have the MSD database file, then the MSJ folder is redundant and can be removed.

What version of Windows are you running? Are you having problems closing the program? Are you experiencing any crashes? Does this happen on every drawing or just once in a while?

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

MSJ

Postby Wes Mossing » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:18 pm

I don’t think the msj directory has ever closed for me in version 2002. When I first loaded it and noticed I re-opened, purged, saved and saved as in hopes of finding a way of making it close but to no avail. Just figured out that deleting the directory was ok so left it at that. We have been running the service patch 3 for a while and everything is and always was fine otherwise.
I'm running Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 1 on an Acer Travelmate 220.
I have no problems closing, no crashes and I am pretty sure it happens every time. In fact I don’t know if I have ever had a more stable system for both Windows and Microsurvey. I am dealing with large files and lots of surfaces all the time and everything runs great.
Regards, Wes.
Wes Mossing

Return to MicroSurvey CAD