supported export formats

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

jmuir

supported export formats

Post by jmuir » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:43 am

Does anyone know if this package is inter-operable with ESRI's products?
Can it export to shapefiles etc?

Thx,

Justin

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:01 am

Unfortunately this CAD engine does not have any option to read in or export to a GIS Shape file that ESRI or other GIS programs can work with.

We can save the drawing to a DWG or DXF file format which they may be able to work with.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

jmuir

no problem - ArcCatalog can export DXF/DWG => shapefiles

Post by jmuir » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:56 am

I think there's some hope here....

Thanks!

Justin

Richard Sands

EXPORT OPTIONS

Post by Richard Sands » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:15 pm

depending on what you want to export - lines, polygons or points. If its point features you'd be better off exporting the points in ASCII format, that way the description gets to go with the point feature. This can then be easily imported into a GIS program. Lines and Polygons are best imported from the dwg or dxf. You may need to save backwards to version 14 or similar. Not sure about ESRI, but not all GIS progs keep abreast of the latest dwg format.
Hope that helps.
It would be very nice for MSCAD to have another column (or ability to add more) that one could import and export more freely with GIS. I use a Leica 1200 GPS at odd times and that exports many columns of data. Some of these are useful to the job and it would be good to preserve them. MSCAD does keep the info if its imported as a csv file but it appends it to the description column.
regards Richard

jmuir

System 1200 eh?

Post by jmuir » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:56 pm

We have one of those too and that's part of the reason I was looking at getting MicroSurvey, to integrate our terrestrial and GPS surveys.

Performing/checking coordinate transforms is the other reason I was looking at MSCAD; we have a lot of historical data that exists only on paper and AutoCAD, so getting out to pick up grids and create coord systems with the system 1200 isn't always an option.

Thanks for all the input thus far!

Justin