Save delayed over network

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Save delayed over network

Postby camland » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:13 pm

Has anyone come across this? I am working on a plan with points in it. I save it, close it. Another person opens it on another computer and the changes didn't appear to save.
camland

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:55 am

Are you 100% sure they are opening the correct job? Have you tried reopening the job after saving it to see what you get? Have you checked the date and time on the DWG and MSD files, that you saved, to ensure they are updating as expected, based upon your last save?

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby camland » Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:10 pm

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I am sure it is the same file, because we were working on the file on 2 workstations side by each.

He saved it, closed it, and I opened it, and the changes weren't there. The points were updated, but the linework wasn't. I know it was saved because when he closed it, it didn't ask to save any changes, which it would if he didn't save it.

I opened the file, as soon as it was closed on the other side. Like within 5 seconds.

This has happened twice now, only when I we open the file immediately after it is closed.

We just wait longer now, before opening the file, and everything works out fine. Not sure if it is a network lag or MSCAD just a little slow on updating the files to the network.

I haven't had the problem reopening the file immediately after closing it on the same computer. It never crossed our minds to check the time stamp. Too frusterated on the lost work. :(
camland

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:21 am

Once our program is closed - the DWG file is updated already. The save or updates are done before the program is completely closed. If the updates are not beeing seen when you open it immediately, after the other computer has saved and the program has closed, but do show up if you wait a few minutes, then there is something in the way your network is operating that is causing the delay. It must be something being cached that is not written to the network drive for a period of time.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:28 am

I have not seen your problem on our Network.

There is one thing to look out for if you are switching drawings.

If we open a drawing too soon it comes up Read Only.

You can't save in Read only mode
rwhatman

Postby camland » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:19 am

It's funny you mention this.

My partner opened a file, did a saveas to create a new document. He did some work in the new file. While it was still open, I also opened it. It didn't mention that it was read only. I couldn't see any of the changes he had done from the saveas. We realized what had happened, so I saved it as a different name.

We have had some really strange things happen with MSCAD 2005 SP 1.3 nothing critical that we lose work, but little things like cannot select text or lines. We have to close MSCAD and reopen the file.
camland

Return to MicroSurvey CAD