Disappearing log file?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Disappearing log file?

Postby cbunker » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:57 pm

We have another user here in our office who is using MSCAD 2005. He had spent a few weeks on one large plan, and consequently his log file was fairly large (compared to most of our log files). One day he went to open the log file, and was asked the standard question: "File does not exist, create a new log file?". For some reason the log file had been wiped out (although it was there a few minutes earlier).

This happened multiple times over several days following, always with the same drawing file. Since then, he's had it happen to a few other (much smaller drawings & log files), and I've also had it happen once to me (different computer, on a drawing that he had never worked on).

Any ideas as to what is happening? When we check out the project directory with Explorer, there's no trace of the log - it's been completely deleted. Has this happened to anyone else? We're running with the latest patches, on WinXP Pro machines (SP2).

Thanks,
Chris
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4
cbunker

disappearances

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:52 pm

Yes Ive experienced things like this. Recently I had a whole job completely disappear after 2005 suddenly crashed with no warning. It took all files associated with the drawing with it so couldn't rebuild the job. I backup frequently and purge the backups as they soon mount up, but the effort is worth it.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD