Simple (?) traverse

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Simple (?) traverse

Postby jmahun » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:00 am

I'm trying to figure out how to input then adjust a simple traverse that closes back on itself. Example: a lot survey where I assume the coordinates of one corner and the direction of one side and then traverse sequentially around the exterior -- classic closed loop. I only have one control point with known N/E coordinates.

I looked at traverse type definitions in Help but couldn't find one that fits. The description of a closed loop traverse indicates that two points must be known. The six different open traverses all require at least two known points. I'm presuming that "known" points means ones with fixed N/E coordinates.

Am I missing something or do I need (at least) two known points regardless of traverse type?
jmahun

Simple Traverse

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:25 am

We do not need to have 2 known or fixed coordinates to do the closed loop traverse (although it does treat the last setup and original setup as fixed points). We can work with 1 known or fixed point with a direction assumed for the backsight. However, when you do the Compute Traverse Closure command, It will ask you for the true coordinates of the last setup and the last (closing) foresight. If you simply accept the coordinate for the last setup as shown and then give it the correct closing coordinate of the last (closing) foresight, it will still do the closure and permit you to do a balance. It will assume that the last setup is correct and it will not be adjusted.

The closed loop is normally done with 2 known coordinates because the last leg is not adjusted. So in reallity you can work with only one known point but the routine will ask you for the last setups true coordinates, which is essence is a fixed point and will be treated that way.

I hope this helps,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

simple traverse

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:35 am

Thanks for thw quick reply. I'll give it a try.

Return to MicroSurvey CAD