more about viewports

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

more about viewports

Postby wflux » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:25 am

Layout one works fine. Created another title block in Layout 2. Moved around in 2. Worked it. saved it. Turned off computer. Turned program back on. Model space is good but layout 2 has disappeared and moved and overlaid layout 1.
We deleted Layout 2 tab and created a new layout 2. Same problem. We reinstalled repair of program. Still same problem.

Down to 6 hairs left on my head!!! Need help!!

Walt
wflux

LAYOUT

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:53 pm

Walt unfortunately this is a quirk of the program just now. (assume your'e running 2005) There was something posted way back ?? Apparantly its not good to add layouts or rename them, just stick with the current standard setup of model space and 2 unnamed layouts. I have created up to 6 layouts that did survive but I saved and backup'd regularly.
This doesn't help you much.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby wflux » Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:04 am

Thanks for the help. Would be nice if I could even get 2 layouts to remain stable.

Walt
wflux

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:54 am

The next version of MSCAD will have this solved being the next version of IntelliCAD has this solved, and will be what the next version of MSCAD is based upon.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby wflux » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:24 am

When's that going to happen Glenn???

Walt Flux
wflux

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:12 pm

When it is ready and not before! :lol:

Seriously, there is no date set as yet and until we get much closer, we will not even give a hint. :roll:

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby artb » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:27 pm

I would like to put a positive spin on this issue. In our office we haven't been aware that there was a problem with creating additional tabs inside a file. We have consistantly created several tabs and they have worked fine.

I have no idea what triggers the problem that you outlined.

I have always created a new tab from an existing layout tab and I have renamed them as I chose to.

On the other side of the coin now I am nervous as it is a nice feature that we have been utilizing without any problems and now that I know that there apparently is a problem Murphy's Law will somehow kick in.
artb
artb

LAYOUTS

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:14 pm

I wouldnt give up on them, I still persevere, add layouts and rename and have more success than problems. Thats why I say to backup regularly, I also in extreme cases (large jobs) 'Save As' a new name.
Haven't figured what causes issues. If that is known it would be could as it may help us.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

MSBACKUP

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:31 am

Something that may help you Richard, and others, when needing to make backups - we have a simple command called MSBACKUP under the File menu. It makes a complete current backup of the drawing and database. Read more about it in our technical note pick here or in the help file.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

BACKUP

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:30 pm

Gday Glen, I use this all the time and I notice that creates a backup in what seems a blink of the eye and yet a save file may take several seconds on large files. Why the difference?
On large jobs I use both this option and even make my own copies. May seem an overkill but losing a whole job into thin air can be very gut wrenching. That said I believe some of these latter problems may have been due to an hyperactive antivirus program.
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Postby wflux » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:18 am

Want to thank everybody for their help. Maybe more clues to help narrow down the problem are:
the drawing was sent to us from a draftsman using a version of Autocad. The drawing was of architecture and had several areas of hatching.
James of Microsurvey suggested we put 2 title blocks in layout port 1 instead of using 2 layout ports and that seemed to work. Didn't crash and was able to manipulate the drawing.
So, this works for now. And ok Glen we'll wait for the upgrade. :lol:
Hair is over-rated anyhow!
Merry Christmas to all!!

Walt
wflux

Re: more about viewports

Postby rwhatman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:52 am

wflux wrote:Layout one works fine. Created another title block in Layout 2. Moved around in 2. Worked it. saved it. Turned off computer. Turned program back on. Model space is good but layout 2 has disappeared and moved and overlaid layout 1.
We deleted Layout 2 tab and created a new layout 2. Same problem. We reinstalled repair of program. Still same problem.

Down to 6 hairs left on my head!!! Need help!!

Walt

I have not seen this problem before.

Try this when making New Layout tab stay in Model space.

I think you have been in paper space when you made the new Tabs.
I did find the problem when in paper space making new Tabs.
rwhatman

Viewports

Postby Max » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:55 am

As long as I don't move my tabs left or right I haven't lost any viewports. But after awhile if I move the tabs left or right I start losing them. I do not have a problem losing them after I rename them.
Max

Re: Viewports

Postby rwhatman » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:23 am

Max wrote:As long as I don't move my tabs left or right I haven't lost any viewports. But after awhile if I move the tabs left or right I start losing them. I do not have a problem losing them after I rename them.

Tried moving Tables left, right 1 or more tabs and had no problem.

As long as you stay in Model Space when do anything with Tabs you
wont have a problem.

Time to jumb in Glen and clear this up.
rwhatman

Postby Max » Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:04 am

OOOH! I thought you had to active a tab in order to move it. I''ll try that.
Max

Return to MicroSurvey CAD