Subdivision Design Sequence in MicroSurvey CAD

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Subdivision Design Sequence in MicroSurvey CAD

Postby rschnei3 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:02 pm

I'm relatively new to Microsurvey and am working on an 80+ lot subdivision project. I'm not entirely clear what sequence I need to follow when it comes to the street design...here's what I've done so far....

1) I've imported my control survey data and adjusted it.
2) I've imported my topo data, and plotted the necessary info.
3) I've created a surface model of the existing terrain and verified its integrity. I saved that surface model to a qsb file
4) I had already drawn up a proposed lot and street layout in another cad package, so I exported that drawing in dxf format and xlinked it to my Microsurvey file so I could start building the horizontal and vertical alignments in Microsurvey.
5) I used the AutoRoute tool to develop horizontal and vertical centerline alignments for each of the proposed streets.

I'm not exactly sure what direction I'm supposed to go next and that's where I'm a little confused.......I initially thought my next step was to use the Street and Intersection design tool along with the horz and vert alignments I developed with the AutoRoute tool to develop the street features....the part I'm confused about is how do I get my vertical alignment I created with AutoRoute associated with the horizontal points created by the Streets and Intersections tool....when I look at the points generated by the S&I tool in the database they have a zero elevation......what should my process be???
rschnei3

Streets and Intersections vs. AutoRoute

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:39 pm

Streets and Intersections are routines for 2D design and are not used in conjunction with AutoRoute, which is a 3D design routine.

The steps you have completed using the AutoRoute are the 3D steps to allow you to do the 3D design. After the Horizontal and Vertical alignments have been defined, You would use a road template to assign to the alignments to generate a new surface that follows the alignments in full 3D. The template intersects back out to the original surface, creating a new surface. You can then generate points along that surface, as required, for slope staking and station staking. You can also do volumes between the two surfaces to determine what amount of material is required to be brought in our moved out.

The original horizontal alignments would be created from the centerlines that you may have brought in from another source, or from linework created in our program. You could use normal lines and arcs to define the horizontal alignment, under the Design menu -> AutoRoute - Create Using Lines and Arcs.

For 2D work, if you are creating offset lines from the centerline to define where the sidewalks and curbs are situated in plan view, with intersections for streets that intersect, then you would use the S&I routines.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly and we can discuss this and try and clarify anything for you.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD