Contours, TINs, etc.

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Contours, TINs, etc.

Postby minusp » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:41 pm

I have spent this afternoon demo-ing Microsurvey... and ran into a dead end. When making a TIN or Grid, and generating contours thereon, the surfaces and contours seem to be (temporarily) visible only; no entities are created, just lines on the screen, which disappear on redraw. I can't find anything in the internal help or the online helps to find out how to save the contours, or in the forums here... Is this a function of the demo vs. the registered version? Or am I missing something so painfully obvious that I will need to hide in a mountain cave?
minusp

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:53 pm

When running the contours command - one of the options allows you to:
None/Show/Draw/Redraw <Show>?
If you press enter then it just shows them and as you said, they vanish if you zoom or redraw.
Press D to draw them and they will be added to the drawing permanently.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

CONTOURS ETC

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:57 pm

The Contours/ Tin etc get drawn on the current layer. You will need to create and set to that layer a new layer for your contours/ tin etc, unless you want them drawn over other parts of your drawing.
You can also play around with the colours of the contours - see 'MsModelling - Colour Options - Contour Colour settings'
regards Richard
Richard Sands

Re: Contours...

Postby minusp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:12 am

<i>When running the contours command - one of the options allows you to:
None/Show/Draw/Redraw <Show>?
If you press enter then it just shows them and as you said, they vanish if you zoom or redraw.
Press D to draw them and they will be added to the drawing permanently.</i>

Well... duh. I figured it was something too obvious to see... well, another case of RTFM, I guess. :oops:

Thanks, all, and I'll continue to check this out.

G<
minusp

Postby ianw2 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:25 pm

Don't feel bad! I would hazard that most of us faced this same "event". :D

BTW - ABSOLY+UTELY heed Mr. Sand's comments. create a new layer and make it the active layer BEFORE you "DRAW" the contours! I can tell you from experience that picking bad contours off your screen one by one is a tedious and nasty business. :shock:

Also, just before i actually draw the contours, I do a save. IUf anything goes wrong with the drawing of the curvy lines, I can close the drawing without saving and be back where I was before I screwed it up the first tie. :lol:

Where this all stems from is that MSCAD, unlike any other program I've ever used, lets you "see" the bad contours before you waste time and ink. I can't tell you how many times I've thanked MS for this when I see a few of those bloody "pyramids" in the middle of my topo.
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Tip of the Day for Ian and others:

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:09 am

Tip of the Day for Ian and others:

ESEL is a simple command that can help delete contours.
Basically, if you type in the command, it allows you to pick something on the screen to erase - whatever you have picked, it will then find al of the same type of entity on the same layer as the entity you picked, and erase them all.

Example: If you pick a polyline on layer TEST. It will find all polylines on layer TEST but not select anything else on layer TEST. It will also not find anything else on any other layers. So as long as you only had contours on layer TEST (and no other polylines), and you picked one of the contours, it would erase all of the contours automatically from the drawing. If there were other polylines on the same layer, then they too would be selected and erased. So be careful!

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD