Graphic Coordinate Editor

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Graphic Coordinate Editor

Postby Teresa » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:43 pm

I have just spent quite some time grouping coordinates into a number of groups and changing the layers of each group's point, elev, descrip, number. I decided to increase the number of sig figs for elevations shown and did a rescale drawing to make them show up. Then I noticed that the layering work I did was obliterated!

Looked through old posts (using the board's search engine - nice, that.) and found your response to someone who ran into the same problem. The solution, we are told, is not to do this until the last step. Not a very useful solution as one does all this layer-changing in order to work with the data in a useful manner. After the data is worked with, then quite often a person does not care so much about having each point groups's information on a different layer.

My question or wish-list item is : Is there some sort of way of locking the layering work one does for point numbers, description etc that overides the preset layers for these items? If not, this is a wish list item for me...

Regards,
Teresa Myrfield
Teresa

Labeling defaults

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:10 pm

As it stands right now, if you do any command that access the labeling defaults, then those rule and will set the points back to the way the labeling defaults are currently set. So rescaling a job, or rotating a job, orany other command that access the point database will update the points involoved based upon the current labeling defaults settings.

The only acception is when a description is setup in AutoMAP, then the settings in AutoMAP will over ride the labeling defaults.

The ADT coordinate editor and the Graphical Database Editor do not over ride the labeling defaults permanently. You can keep the groups active and reprocess the layering changes again but this is extra work. the best method is to make use of the AutoMAP capabilities, or do the other editing last.

Changes to the Graphical Database Editor (and the ADT coordinate editor) are already on the wish list and hopefully in a future version we will see some of these enhancements.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Teresa » Wed Apr 09, 2003 3:13 pm

Thanks Glen,

Guess that I had better dive into the Automap stuff a bit more.

Aren't you supposed to be done work for the day? Or do you get binged everytime someone posts a question?

Teresa
Teresa

Work day

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:57 pm

Yes I am done work but being such a dedicated employee, I check my email and this forum many times a day including after hours (when I am bored at home or have nothing better to do :))

AutoMAP is powerful and will be expanded in capability in future versions as well. It is a great tool.

Cheers,

(Bed time for me)
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Layering Defaults

Postby Jerry » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:21 pm

Hello,

I posted on this a few time in the past and have no good way around it. I even requested the same thing you did, a way to over ride the defaults once you change your points and such. Automap is a great way to over ride this except, it sounds like you have layers like I do... broken into something like this... sewer (the line work) sewerpts (nodes and numbers) sewerelev and sewerdesc. Automap will not let you break the layers of points in the way. It is a huge issue I hope is on there future list of things to be able to do. As of right now, I cant even use automapping, which is a great tool, because of my need to split these points into different layers.
Jerry

Postby rwhatman » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:57 pm

Jerry

Automap can only deal with one layer right now.

So if you want to protect all points to a layer. The description has to be in
the same layer in Automap.

To fix the problem I use the graphic editor or the active database to
change the layer of description.

If you are like me you may have hundreds of different layers.

So here is the big TIP do all your rotating or rescaling at the beging
of the job.

Ok sometimes you are forced to work on job before the work is done in the field.
Then when you get all the data you find you have to rescale the job
because it's now too big to fit on the size of the paper that you have to plot
it on. Here is the other TIP never edit any layers till you get all the work.
It will save you hours of work in the long run.

Richard
rwhatman

Postby Teresa » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:38 am

Yup, good advice re being careful of one's order of events.

There are get-arounds...but I wish that we didn't have to use them in this case, mainly because get-arounds are inconvenient at times.

Teresa
Teresa

Return to MicroSurvey CAD