reason for some crashes??

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

reason for some crashes??

Postby artb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

I have been monitoring your ms_cb.txt file after numerous crashes prior to re-opening the file. (and there are many)

On a number of occasions the last command listed is the automatic backup activated on the timed interval we have chosen to use.

It appears that the auto bkup seems to complete in those situations but a command that you were involved in when the bkup kicked in will be frozen and not able to continue and also not able to reclaim the keyboard thus resulting in the crash. That command will also not show in the text file.

It seems to me that your program takes over the 'puter to save the program without allowing the routine that is in progress to finish. In that process it doesn't seem to allow current routine to finish. This may be more prevalent when you are executing a multi step exercise that requires consequetive inputs to continue. If that is true then it also doesn't return the computer to a point where it is able to complete the exercise in progress.

I often have crashes when trying to insert a block for example. There can be multiple steps to complete this exercise. The same block that was being requested will load flawlessly countless other times so it should not be a defective block.

I find on numerous situations where a programmed routine of yours will initiate some particular scenario to carry out your routine but when you exit that routine the program you initiated is not cleared thus leaving it active when we execute a different routine .

One example of this is toggling on the perp command to enter a perp distance to a line from a house corner. Once that exercise is finished the perp condition remains. Our next effort to use the pick box will potentially put it on a line where we don't want it. Your routines to carry out a calculation like that should be programmed to return the computer to the state it was at before you activated it when your routine is finished. Any changes that you initiate to carry out your routine should be reversed when your routine is finished.

I could direct this kind of information directly to you through a private email but this forum would allow others to see this kind of information and either explain similar problems that they experienced or allow them to add input which could be helpful in resolving the problems we face when having to deal with shortcomings of your program. I would also be receptive to discussing any issues that we encounter if you so choose.

To counter that form of possible negative comment there are many positives to your program but the negative ones are and can be very frustrating to deal with when they are not resolved.

Art
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:46 am

I have reported your findings and comments on to the programming staff for their review.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby nicholastaylor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:22 am

Has there been any progress on this situation? My program has been frequently crashing upon saving, whether it be a manual save or an autosave.
nicholastaylor

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:44 am

All efforts have been placed upon finishing the MSCAD 2008 program. So all comments, issues, bugs etc. have been tested, worked on, taken into consideration, as best possible for MSCAD 2008. MSCAD 2008 will be released in the next little while (release date not set as yet, but it is not that far off). Keep in touch with your sales rep for more details on it's release and cost.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD