Cross Sections

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Cross Sections

Postby Neal McAllister » Mon Apr 14, 2003 1:21 pm

I am new to the world of Micro Survey, and am trying to run a the cross section command. i have all my field data and design data. I have created my cross section template and have created a new surface. the problem is that i have to run my cross section at the base of the road and not the surface of the road. this has resulted in a cross section design that is a little wierd. one of the legs of the cross sections has a lenth of zero, but a rise of 1.083 feet in order to bring me up from the base of the road to the surface of the sholder in order to properly figure my total earth excavation. the problem is when i apply the this template and try to extract the cross sections, it looks nothing like my template. the base grade has been changed from a negative grade to a positive grade that appears to ignore my zero width leg and meets with the shoulder surface. my Question?????? WHY?? Can i not put in a zero width leg on the template? if not, can i run a cross section with no cuts or fills at the ends, at a set distance below my road surface with out creating a surface that cuts or fills to infinity? I love the program, but I can't quite get out of it what I need. HELP.
Neal McAllister
Neal McAllister

Cross Sections

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:06 am

Welcome to MicroSurvey!
The modelling portion of the program can not have a perfectly vertical face. So this also means that your road template can not have a perfectly vertical face.

I just created one here and found that if I have a width set to 0.1 with a height of 1 that the face is close enough to being vertical for what I need. The program is able to calculate the template as designed and pass it along the alignments to generate the new surface - then the cross sections will look realistic. The volumes I can then calculate between the original surface and the new one just created, will be close enough to the desired vertical cases, that the answers should be valid. Your closing cut/fill slopes can not be ignored and must have a correct value.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD