PROGRAM LOSING ITS CONTINUITY

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

PROGRAM LOSING ITS CONTINUITY

Postby artb » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:38 am

2007/06/08

I have run into another situation where your program loses its way due to activities which you allow to happen but the second activity has the result of the initial program losing its place and cannot complete its routine.

Case it point-- While in the traverse mode to calculate points - and not using the active editor screen -- but the command line option-- If you choose to pan the screen in order to see a different portion fo the screen your program often exits the traverse routine and you have to re-enter the traverse routine to redo the input information necessary to create co-ordinates.

I.E. after entering the angular information-- then panning the screen-- then attempt to enter the distance you will likely be out of the loop. Then it is necesary to re-enter the traverse routine to carry on.

This information - like the 2 drawing problem I illustrated yesterday are the types of things that I would hope your programmers would accept this information in the light that it was intended and look for ways to resolve the weaknesses that show up in your programs.

I feel that you have a very good product and you could improve it immensely if you made more of an effort to resolve these issues as you become aware of them.

Asking us to find ways to work around the problem is not a good solution when it may be necessary to do this for a long time.
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:08 pm

All issues brought to our attention are documented and then we try to reproduce them here. Once we can reproduce them they are added to our bug tracking software so the programming team can explorer them as they are able.

The COGO issue you mentioned before was documented, and was reproducable, so it has been added to the bug tracking program for the programmers to dig into. This is the procedure I have to follow to ensure things are corrected in the long run. Time frames for fixes and/or updates is not within my control. Sometimes fixes can be issued very quickly - other times it takes time. Sometimes bug fixes can not be issued for the current software as it has already morphed into the next version as it is being developed. When this happens, fixes appear in the new version automatically.

Very few customers have used the command line method of entering in a traverse, in favour of the dialog box method or the ATE method. This has not been brought to our attention before, but I will dig into it and see what I can do to reproduce it and go from there.

Thank you for being so diligent and detailing any issues that you have come across. It does help clean a product up for everyone. Even with the thousands of hours of development and thousands of hours of testing that goes into evey version of our products, bugs will and do exist. By reporting them, we can work on them and get fixes as fast as we are able, and issue patches or new versions to correct these issues.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

cogo routines too

Postby artb » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:11 am

Just so you know the same thing will often happen when you start to coordinate a point using cogo. After you enter the azimuth if you need to pan around the screen to get another point number there is a good possibility that your program will say it doesn't understand the command when you try to input the distance. It then exits the routine and you have to start over.

I expect that the solution to the one problem will fix both issues
artb
artb

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm

Are you using the mouse wheel to pan/zoom or are you picking the pan/zoom buttons from the toolbar? The mouse wheel option seems to work well for me at all points in COGO, and is much faster and easier than picking the commands from the toolbar.

Cheers,
Last edited by Glen Cameron on Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

zoom wheel

Postby artb » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:18 am

2007/06/13

I am using the mouse wheel and pan zoom with the mouse. I rarely ever used the other option you mentioned. My mouse is set to depress the wheel and then pan the screen by dragging the mouse. I just tried it again to double ck how I was doing it and it lost the continuity on the first try.
artb
artb

Return to MicroSurvey CAD