[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
MicroSurvey Software Inc. • View topic - PDF export

PDF export

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

PDF export

Postby DaveS » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:31 pm

DaveS

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:28 am

Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby ianw2 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:00 pm

Dave:

I happen to love PDFs as well. I routinely PDF drawings and send them to clients, etc. all over. Although a PDF CAN be "reverse engineered", it is a lot less likely to be mucked about with than a standard drawing file.

Since I use a color-based pltting system (CTB), I cannot gaurantee that the recipient's of my drawings will be able to plot it out exactly as I intended it. As a consequence, even when sending electronic drawings to architects and engineers, I send along a PDF of the drawing so it can be printed out and viewed as I intended it to be.

Althoug a bit on the costly side, I've found that the investment in Adobe Acrobat has been well worth the cost. There are a number of low cost and even shareware PDF writers that can be downloaded and installed. The PDF writer acts just like any other printer.

I am also a BIG fan of Model Space / Layout Space. However, I played around with a drawing on which I was working this morning. Here are the results:

Standard method of PDF "plotting".

Export to PDF using the border (not the sheet edge) as the bounding element and selectiong all entities within this border.

As you can see, the first PDF looks just as I inteded it to with all the lineweights, etc. The second method is a mish-mosh of colors and doesn't look anything like I really wanted it to.

BTW, I often plot to a PDF to be able to print out reduced sized plots of my drawings. The lineweights scale down nicely and produce crisp, easily read smaller sized versions. In fact, the drawing I've included here is at 11" x 17" (Tabloid) size. It still looks good printed on 8-1/2" x 11" paper.

Cheers!
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

pdf

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:45 pm

I always use a 3rd party PDF , in my case Bluebeam. That way I can generate and assemble PDf's on demand, combine them and add text, title blocks etc and also 'Flatten' the PDF so its only an image if security is an issue.
Bluebeam (and I imagine others) can also select just parts of the drawing.
The beauty about printing to PDF is if you print to the final sheet size - say A2 and then print the resulting PDF to say A4 the lineweights are scaled accordingly.
Personally I'd look at the option of an external PDF writer. Many applications and printers actually install a PDF printer too. I'd suggest Bluebeam is a worthwhile option - its written with AutoCAD in mind. It does plugin to AutoCAD, but not MSCAD.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD