Comparisons of 2005 to 2008

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Postby artb » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:18 am

2007/12/14

This is a list of changes and/or improvements ( in no particular order) that I have found in 2008 when comparing it to 2005.

1: In 2005 the print mode Cancel button has been changed to "Close". My experience suggests that this routine no longer crashes although one user in our office says that she is still experiencing crashes in the print routines.

2: In 2005 using the text slide problems were created if you had any snaps toggled on prior to initiating the text slide routine. Sliding any text would get undesired results if you happened to trigger any of the snaps in the process. In 2008 the snaps are disabled until the slide routine is completed.

3: In 2005 if you inserted a block to a layout tab your tab screen would automatically switch to the Model Tab. However the program still left you in the Layout tab. In order to correct this anomoly you would have to pick another tab and then repick the layout tab you wanted to have the program show the correct tab location. 2008 appears to have corrected this.

4: In 2005 if you used the saveas feature to rename the file then you did not get the current log file attached to the new file name. 2008 did not correct this omission. The result is that you DO NOT have an identical file in the "saveas" version as the original file.

5: In 2005 if you used the Drawing View Rotation to skew you drawing 2005 would automatically revert the angular settings to counterclockwise. If you had altered your settings to clockwise so a 90 degree input would give you EAST then this is permanently lost. You have to reset "clockwise" if that is the way you want it. In 2005 microsurvey would sometimes gave you a random azimuth (other than zero or another cardinal direction). I don't know if 2008 has eliminated this random azimuth as I haven't seen it in my limited trials.

6: In 2005 it was possible to switch from one file to another while you were in cogo mode. This had the affect of viewing the 2nd file while the microsurvey database remained in the 1st file unknown to you. For example you could inverse between 2 pointnumbers visible on the 2nd file but the resulting inverse would be derived from the same pt. numbers in the 1st file. In 2008 you are not allowed to switch to another file while you are in a calculation mode. In either version if you switched files when not in a calculation mode the data base moved with the change as it should.

7: In 2005 it was virtually impossible to use the fillet command to connect a line segment and an arc segment. In 2008 my initial tests seemed to be successful in filleting those segments as well as filleting 2 arc segments.

8: Your brochure information suggests that 2008 saves and/or loads the files much faster than 2005. I can't confirm this as I am using a different computer at home for my comparisions. However we have one user a the office that says the file saving in 2008 is noticably slower than in 2005. If this is ,in fact, true then your brochures are misleading.

In the interests of sharing this kind of information for other users I will continue to provide such information as I find it.
artb
artb

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:05 pm

gday Artb
just chucking in my experiences here
4: In 2005 if you used the saveas feature to rename the file then you did not get the current log file attached to the new file name. 2008 did not correct this omission. The result is that you DO NOT have an identical file in the "saveas" version as the original file.

It requires more than just a save, I always hit save several times and that does the trick, so it does work.
8: Your brochure information suggests that 2008 saves and/or loads the files much faster than 2005. I can't confirm this

I have found this to be true - ie it is much faster than previous - I have tried this on laptop and PC (XP Pro) and both give similar results.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

saveas feature- no log file

Postby artb » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:13 am

gdrichard

Your quote

"It requires more than just a save, I always hit save several times and that does the trick, so it does work. "

I guess I'll need a further explanation of how you are successful in getting "ms" to copy the log file when using the saveas feature.

I tried your suggestion after using the saveas feature by saving the newly created file 5 times. I then looked at the log file for the newly created file and it is absolutely blank.

The blank file makes sense to me in that the save routine merely saves the log file of the current name so it is resaving the blank log file that it created when the new file name was created by the saveas feature.

"Ms" created a new log file in the saveas routine because it did not find a log file for the newly created file (thus the blank file).
artb
artb

LOG FILE ON SAVE

Postby Richard Sands » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:42 pm

I'd suggest the log file as you indicated only applies to the new job. I cant see why it'd need to pick up the history of the previous file as its not applicable to the new job just created. I never worry about that and rarely view it so it had never been an issue with me. If you want it I guess its a copy/rename routine.
regards, Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD