Adobe Acrobat 6 compatibility

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Adobe Acrobat 6 compatibility

Postby pcgarner » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:02 am

Adobe has just announced the coming release of Acrobat 6. The break through aspect of the new release is that it will allow 'AutoCAD' users to print PDF files of their drawings for easy client use (many municipalities are beginning to require PDFs now as well). The PDF files will allow layer manipulation & have accurate measuring tools.

My question, of course, is whether CAD 2002 will interface with the new Acrobat 6? Thanks.
pcgarner

Postby pcgarner » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:11 am

PS
(I am aware of Glenn's How-To for creating PDF files that he posted in January!)
pcgarner

PDF 6

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:46 am

At present time we do not have all the information required to answer this question. The CAD engine we use would need to check this out before we could provide more details. Once we have had a chance to check out the ins and outs of this we will let people know the results.

We will be able to produce the PDF file, assuming you own their version of Acrobat reader, but I can't answer if the layering options that they mention will be supported or not in the current version or if a future version will do it.

We will look into it and get back to you as soon as we are able.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

PDF Files

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:26 pm

I have been sending PDF files to clients for some time now. I have version 4.05 and chose 'Acrobat PDF Writer' from my printer list. It works a treat. I print parts or all of the drawing/ model as required and have not had any problems. Maybe I am missing something here, but it is very straight forward.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

PDF 6

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Apr 25, 2003 6:57 pm

Hi Richard,

There is a new version of PDF file coming and it is supposed to have layering support for AutoCAD drawings, and much more.

Information I received via an email, on this topic:

New PDF Aimed at CAD
. . . . .
Adobe this week announced Acrobat 6 will ship sometime in May. The convert-to-PDF software will come in three flavors. Adobe marketing last week gave me a demo of the new Acrobat series:

New Product Line-up

Acrobat Pro 6 (US$449; upgrade US$149) replaces the current Acrobat v5.1. It has one-button PDF creation from AutoCAD and Visio with support for layers. Layers can be toggled, locked on, renamed, and merged. In addition, you can create layer groups, so that a group of layers is toggled with a single click.

For viewing, there is the spy glass window (for magnifying the area under the cursor) and the bird's-eye view (for an overview of the entire page). Also, dynamic zoom is new. Redlining tools allow you to mark up drawings and other documents; measurements can be made of lengths, perimeters, and areas.

All kinds of documents can be "dragged" into a PDF file, including raster images, .doc files, and .dwg files -- all with different page sizes; maximum page size is 16.7' x 16.7' (5m x 5m). All text is searchable, selectable, and extractable; AutoCAD vector text is converted on-the-fly to "normal" text.

Acrobat Standard 6 (US$299; upgrade US$99) is meant for document processing, and has one-button PDF from Internet Explorer. Acrobat Elements 6 (US$29; minimum 1000 licenses) works inside Office and Outlook. While marked-up PDFs can be imported into Office XP, none of Adobe's own products support this feature, nor does AutoCAD, best as I can tell.

The free Adobe Reader 6 will handle a broader variety of documents, including files generated by Adobe's own Album and eBooks software.

Limitations

I've worked with the beta of Acrobat Pro 6, generating multi-megabyte PDF files from my latest book project. While the Reader's user interface is much improved, Distiller (the software the performs translations to PDF in the background) is still a mess. Here are some problems I found:

* PDF creation is still too complex (I counted 120 options) and unpredictable (a PageMaker document with embedded PDF images output the images as blanks in the PDF file).
* The context help is insufficient. What's the "Embed Tags in PDF (for accessibility and reflow)" option?
* Distiller's error messages are cryptic, and Adobe provides no help for them. Messages don't report the page on which the error occurs, or the element creating the problem.
* In Visio, all shapes on the page are output to PDF; selection sets and shapes outside the page are ignored.

Q & A:

I didn't get much in the way of useful responses when I asked Adobe marketing the following CAD-related questions:

Q: Which other CAD packages will you support?
A: "Other CAD and PLM vendors," but it took a later press release from PTC to reveal that WindChill ProductView was one of them.

A: How will Acrobat 6 affect the numerous third-party PDF converters for AutoCAD?
Q: Adobe marketing didn't seem to be aware of them, asking me to provide some product names, but then said that Adobe supports many third-party developers.

A: Are the features in Acrobat Pro 6 meant to compete against Autodesk's new DWF 6 format?
Q: Adobe marketing said no, and seemed to say that PDF and DWF were each useful in their own way, and could work alongside each other.

It could be that Adobe doesn't (yet) understand the CAD market. http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/main.html

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD