2008 crashes in print menu

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

2008 crashes in print menu

Postby DZim » Wed May 14, 2008 4:56 am

This has happened repeatedly on 2 computers. When using the various printing menus, the program crashes. Its becoming a real pain.

Anyone else with a similar problem?
---------------------------------
DZim

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri May 16, 2008 5:51 am

2005 had this problem on a high number of computers and the work around then was to hit the Apply button on the print dialog before you try to cancel out of the dialog. We have seen a handfull of 2008 users with this same issue (even though we thought IntelliCAD has fixed it), so we are still working with IntelliCAD to try and figure out the issue and solve it permanently in a future patch/version.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Re: 2008 crashes in print menu

Postby Gord » Fri May 16, 2008 10:19 am

DZim wrote:This has happened repeatedly on 2 computers. When using the various printing menus, the program crashes. Its becoming a real pain.

Anyone else with a similar problem?

Happens to me all the time. I'm running Windows 2000 and have wondered if that may contribute to the problem. Which operating system are you running that you see this on? I'm wondering if I could get rid of the problem by switching to XP (bleah)
Gord

Postby Jason Poitras » Fri May 16, 2008 10:36 am

This problem is one of the most frustrating bugs we've ever had.

The problem happens more than we would like but is very hard to reproduce. I've had customers phone me to say that they can reproduce it, and then when I tried doing a desktop streaming session over the internet to see the problem with my own eyes, the problem mysteriously went away.

If you are able to reproduce the problem consistently (100%) of the time we would like to talk to you. If you are able to crash it every time then please call me.

We know the problem exists but if we can not reproduce it we can not fix it. My guess is that it has to do with the print/plotter drivers that are installed.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Gord » Fri May 16, 2008 10:44 am

Okay, by all the time, I didn't mean 100% but it happens to me at least once a day and yesterday at least half dozen times.
I just installed SP1.2 and tried to crash it but couldn't get it to do it.
G
Gord

PRINTING CRASH

Postby Richard Sands » Fri May 16, 2008 1:16 pm

Iused to have print issues (as in crashes) and it was tracked to the Antivirus.
They are strange beasts.
Richard Sands

Postby DZim » Tue May 20, 2008 9:37 am

Thanks for the replies. I've been away for a little bit.

If I have some time, I'll try to make it crash a few more times :D

Gord, I'm running XP so we can put an X through that.
DZim

Postby Gord » Mon May 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Gord wrote:Okay, by all the time, I didn't mean 100% but it happens to me at least once a day and yesterday at least half dozen times.
I just installed SP1.2 and tried to crash it but couldn't get it to do it.
G

So much for hoping. Crashed it today with print/cancel so 1.2 didn't fix it. Also had a couple of other crashes when opening a second drawing and instant crash by double-clicking on a TINGRID to change it's layer.
This is annoying. :x
Gord

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue May 27, 2008 8:54 am

If you have a way of making it crash, send us the drawing and steps. We want to fix it.
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby rwhatman » Tue May 27, 2008 12:24 pm

Darcy Detlor wrote:If you have a way of making it crash, send us the drawing and steps. We want to fix it.

In MsCad2005 it was not the drawing that caused the problem.
So the sooner you learn this, then you will be able to solve the problem.

I Spent more then 10 hours trying to crash the 2008 program
in its early stages and could not crash the program.

Why is because I used what came with the 2008 program.

I did not have the time to set up a program knowing I would not get it in the end.

Till they solve problem, PICK Save drawing before you print and 99% of the time even in 2005 you will not crash.

Things to Check your CTB file is it the same file you used in 2005 or is the one that came with 2008.

Here is my theory when you OPEN the print window and close you are closing UNSAVED data. This is part of the problem, the second part, what
window is open when you Close it.

Here is a example of how to crash the program in 2005 open Active data
and close drawing you will crash every time. This was never fixed.

In 2008 I can't remember if this was fixed, but its a example of closing a window that is not saved.

All the best Darcy
rwhatman

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue May 27, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi Richard, what is "Active data"?
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby rwhatman » Wed May 28, 2008 4:05 am

Darcy Detlor wrote:

Hi Richard, what is "Active data"?

I think faster then I can type Active data = Active Coordinate Editor

Open drawing and draw a line or two. Then pick Active Coordinate Editor

Then pick Exit drawing. You won't get, do you want to save you get
a crash and all work is lost.

When we have not saved drawing then open a print prompt and change scale, pick a CTB file window the drawing, view plot, Cancel X

Sure it may not crash, but some how some are crashing. I am not crashing as I have learned to pick SAVE a lot.
rwhatman

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed May 28, 2008 5:57 am

This is the problem - I have tried your steps, and several variations on them, and I do not see a crash with 2005 or 2008. Mine is working as expected, and asks if you wish to save the drawing, every time. And I have only seen the print crash issue once on my machine in 2005 and never in 2008.

This is why it is a very hard thing to fix - it seems some computers will see the problem on a regular basis and others, like mine, do not show the problem.

We will continue to dig into this and the more information we get, from as many clients as we can get it from, will help us find and solve the issue.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby DZim » Wed May 28, 2008 10:16 am

Just had it crash. I was going between the two print tabs and hit ESC, and boom.

I've tried to repeat it and haven't been able to crash it since restarting the program. The only difference is that I'd been working on the same drawing for over an hour. This is the case everytime I crash at the print menu. Restarting the program is a fix, as is saving before printing, but it seems like the longer I've had the drawing open, the greater the chance it'll crash.
DZim

Postby Kevin B. » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 am

Just to let you know I have had the computer crash in print mode a few times just like in 2005.
Kevin B.

Postby glennd2 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:49 pm

I cannot crash MSCAD2008 (Vista) trying any of the above "recipes".
However using the scroll wheel on the mouse after printing makes the drawing disappear but can easily be restored/viewed using REDRAW.

I am very happy using MSCAD2008 with Vista. It is the most stable combination that I have used in the last 10 years.

My PC is a HPIQ780a (Touchscreen). It has a very crisp wide screen displayand a small footprint. It is great to be able to interrogate the drawing or draw lines by merely pointing (not actually touching) the screen.

Kind Regards
Glenn :D
glennd2

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 am

Hi Glenn, that is a known issue and apparently has been fixed for the next version of MicroSurvey CAD (no release date set as yet, but coming soon!).
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby DZim » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:51 am

Just a thought, but could part part of the problem be from the program communicating with an older printer. Our's is at least 7 years old, and I notice I crash more often when its being utilized.
DZim

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:44 am

That is a very strong possibility. The age of the unit would often be in relation to the age and capability of the drivers installed in Windows. A good idea would be to check the manufacturer to see if any newer drivers are available for your printer for the version of Windows you are running, and if there are newer ones, download then from their web-site and install them, to see if it helps.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby tbunker » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am

We've seen this problem in our office as well. Using HP Plotter. We try not to hit the CANCEL button but use the X in the upper right corner of the print window instead which seems to help. We are afraid of the CANCEL button.
tbunker

Postby DZim » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:30 am

tbunker wrote:We've seen this problem in our office as well. Using HP Plotter. We try not to hit the CANCEL button but use the X in the upper right corner of the print window instead which seems to help. We are afraid of the CANCEL button.

We too know the terror that is the CANCEL button.
DZim

MSCAD 2009 crashes as well.....

Postby RJ Breedlove » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:13 am

I had it crash on the first day of using 2009 by hitting the Close Button on the Print Menu. I had gone to print and discovered a change, so I hit Close and Crash!
This has been a problem since 2005 and continues to haunt us. I have tried to repeat the problem, and like Glen said, I can't get the program to crash every time.
I will document the next time it happens and post it here.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having this problem.
RJ Breedlove

Postby Glen Cameron » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:48 pm

For all users - if you have a crash and Windows asks if you would like to send a report to Microsoft - in the past we have told people to answer NO - but now we have the ability to get valuable information from these reports so please answer YES if it happens in the future (at any time in any location in the program)!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD