photo.tif and MSCAD2008SP1.3

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Edward Gasbarre

photo.tif and MSCAD2008SP1.3

Post by Edward Gasbarre » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:58 am

Support and I have been in discussion about this issue for sometime and now I would like input from others. Perhaps I'm the probelm.

We have georeferenced photography from several different counties that we use to cut out .tif images and attach them to CADD drawings. We then draw property lines etc. on these photos for both preliminary planning and finished product alike. MSCAD2004 and 2005 worked beautifully with no issues.
However, MSCAD2008 has major issues. Example: a qtr mile square photo is on my screen zoomed out to full extent. At this range I can draw on it and pan without issue. But, if I zoom in to the necessary distance to draw accurately,(like the centerline of a highway for instance) the program bogs down to the point where the zoom commands take minutes to complete!
This is a major headache to me since I use photography every day.

Richard Sands

tif images and 2008

Post by Richard Sands » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:24 am

I've never been successful in using geotiffs in 2008 and if i want them have to revert back to 2005.
Its still a problem in latest SP.
My problem is just getting them to actually load - the program just stops working. It doesn't hog any resources as I can actually load up 2005 and work away and also my GIS and work on large tifs there.
The strange thing I have found is if I save back to 2005 then load an image, save and close, reopen in, 2008 the image generally loads with it.
My images vary in size up to 320 - 350 mb.
I have experienced the zoom isssues you talk about also.
Its small comfort, but you aren't on your own.
regards
Richard

Glen Cameron

Post by Glen Cameron » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:21 pm

IntelliCAD changed the company that they dealt with with respect to the Raster image add-on, which we supply with our 2008 product. We do not have the option or ability to go back to the previous source being they no longer deal with IntelliCAD. We have worked on this with IntelliCAD for many many hours and have made some advancement. We know there is still a ways to go and we are hopeful that this will be solved in the near future. But being it is not directly in our hands to solve we are at the same mercy as our clients. We too are frustrated and wanting the fix as well (it may not affect our plans, being we do not generate them like our customers do, but being we have customers that can not get their work done, this does affect us in many ways).

We are continuing to strive for the solution and as soon as we have it, it will be made available to everyone!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Ed and Richard,

As Glen stated we are not going back to the raster engine used in 2005, simply because that isn't an option.

There have been numerous bug fixes regarding the raster engine and I think for the most part most of the issues are resolved in the latest IntelliCAD 6.5 engine which is in the MSCAD 2009 version.

We are close to going to beta with this version and I am wondering if you would like to be included on the beta test team. If you are, please let me know.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

Richard Sands

GEOTIFFS

Post by Richard Sands » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:56 pm

Yes I'd welcome that thanks
regards
Richard