CRASH

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

CRASH

Postby Cathy » Wed May 14, 2003 4:56 pm

I have had several crashes when importing ASCII files lately. However, I think it's due to working from the server, so I started saving all my drawings to my C drive before working on them, and this seems to have solved the problem. However, my problem is that if a drawing crashed on the server, I deleted it as well as all the files associated with it. I also tried to delete the msj folder, but about half the time I can't...it says that it is being used by another person or program. So then, when I go to save a newly created drawing from my C drive to the server which has the same name as the drawing that had originally crashed I experience errors. These include " The program failed to open the coordinate file " or "the prgram failed to open the connectivity file". However, the drawing is fine on my c drive, it just seems to be associatting the same errors that the original drawing had. Is this because of the msj folder? And how do I get rid of those msj folders that I can't seem to delete? Help please!!! This is really frustrating! P.S. I can save the drawing from my c drive onto the server with a different name and it works fine. It's only when I use the same name as the origianl crashed drawing...
Cathy

.msj folder

Postby John Gallagher » Wed May 14, 2003 6:11 pm

Try closing MSCAD first and then delete the .msj folder.This should work.
Hope this helps,
John Gallagher
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Crash

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed May 14, 2003 6:17 pm

When MSCAD opens a drawing it attempts to open and use the MSJ folder, if it exists, as this is the database. If it does not find a MSJ folder then it goes to the MSD file and opens it into a MSJ folder, and then proceeds to use it. If the MSJ folder has a problem, and it sounds like it does, then when you open the drawing from this location you will continue to get the errors you have mentioned.

You really do need to find a way to erase the bad MSJ folder before copying the active job to this same location with the same name.

I would check with your IT people to see why you can not erase the folder. It may be an issue with your network or operating system. It may be something to do with the rights you may have or not have on the network. Perhaps a simple reboot may solve it but you may need further help if this does not work.

Anytime you have a network, and you have any issues with the saving of files or working in a job, then you can always choose to work on the local drive to get around those network issues. MSCAD does work across most networks just fine but if the network has any issues then we may have them too.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD