Square meters (2 Superscript)

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Square meters (2 Superscript)

Postby Dave Duddy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:55 pm

Just wondering how to change the sq.m. suffix for my lot areas to m^2 with the 2 superscript. I have looked in my lots and areas labelling defaults but cannot figure out how to get the superscript.

Thanks Dave Duddy
Dave Duddy

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:19 am

You need to create a font in a template drawing called AREA_STYLE and set it to use the font ARIAL.TTF (or another similar font that has the definition of the squared symbol defined in it). Or edit the style in the FONTS command to use the arial.ttf font definition.

Then in the Labeling defaults, you leave the Area labeling font set to msurvey.shx.

Then you go to Windows Character Map program and locate the squared symbol then you can copy/paste that character into the lableing defaults for the sufix.

Save all the defaults so they can be used in this drawing and others.

Then when you label an area, it will use the font definition in the template drawing, and the squared symbol from the labeling defaults, and label it on screen.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:27 pm

Glen why don't we have that as MSCAD default (or option?
How many users use or want the superscript 2 as opposed to the default now available?
If we had a %% font option as in the degree, diameter, etc for this and also the Delta sign would make life easier.
I've gone over to ttf's for my final plans as its so much easier to use these special characters and the ALT key.
I suggest this be on the 'to do list' please.
regards
Richard

Just add that anything other than m² would get rejected here in our survey plans for issue of titles.
Legal standard is the m². So in that sense we just don't have a choice.
Last edited by Richard Sands on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Sands

Postby Dave Duddy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi Glen,

Well I have tried what you suggested and I can get the superscript 2 but maybe I have done something wrong because it shows up in the arial font. When I plot it, the text plots slightly smaller than the standard text and looks slightly different. Have I screwed up.

Having the option of the superscript 2 would be great. In B.C. the approved abbreviation is m2 (2 superscript). To use sqm I would have to put a statement in the legend defining what this means. Also the m2 takes up a lot less room than sqm when labelling areas in tight places.

Thanks Dave
Dave Duddy

Postby fjt_aus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi guys! I Have no problem getting the m² to automatically appear. Go to the Lots and Areas labelling defaults setup and in the square measurement units box replace sq.m. with m%%178 in the box next to suffix.

The font that I use (IC-isocp.shx) shows this as m² when the areas are generated. I think it works with the msurvey.shx font as well, but it won't work with all fonts.

To test a font to see if it works you can use it in your drawing but use the Alt button instead of the %%. For example, to get 123m² you would type '123m' and then hold down the Alt key while you type '0178'. If the font doesnt work you will either get nothing, or a question mark after the 'm'.

Good luck.
Last edited by fjt_aus on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjt_aus

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:58 am

The capabilities are all based upon what the font definitions contain, not what our program does.

We could probably add the ability to place the superscript character, in the routine, but if someone uses a different font, then we are limited by that font. That was why I showed one example of using a different font. Each company will do what they feel is best for them.

I like the example just posted, it works well and is a similar enough font to our msurvey.shx, that it could probably be used with no issues for most.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:44 pm

The font that I use (IC-isocp.shx) shows this as m² when the areas are generated. I think it works with the msurvey.shx font as well, but it won't work with all fonts.

Thanks for this. I tried all other cad fonts on my system and couldn't get any response. It seems IC-isocp.shx is the only one that recognises these 'extras'.
msurvey.shx doesn't work.
So as you say Glen if we use other fonts then we only get a ?
Richard Sands

LTYPESHP.shx freezes program

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:59 pm

Playing around I found that LTYPESHP.shx disagrees with both 2008 & 2009.
Vista Business.
It freezes the program and screen goes grey and have to force close.
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:15 pm

ltypeshp.shx is not a normal font.
It is used in some of the linetypes.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby fjt_aus » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:42 pm

Pleae note that I have edited my post above to read...hold down the Alt key while you type '0178'...

I didn't have the zero in it before.
fjt_aus

Return to MicroSurvey CAD