Surface Comparisons

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Surface Comparisons

Postby fjt_aus » Sun May 10, 2009 5:25 pm

I need help with the following:

I have SURFACE A and SURFACE B both created using points & breaklines. I need to subtract one surface from the other to find the difference between the two. I then need to generate points from this comparison which can also be contoured.

I know you can subtract surfaces from one another for cut/fill calculations but it is the point generation I can't work out.

Can Microsurvey do this or do we need to do it manually?

Thanks in advance.
fjt_aus

Postby Richard Sands » Sun May 10, 2009 11:57 pm

you don't need to create points to contour the difference.
You can contour the resulting 'difference' surface (A minus B). Just need to adjust your specs so it contours small and negative contours.

Is that what you are trying to do?
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue May 12, 2009 10:41 am

- If you truley need a grid of points generated for the "." surface generated from the volume command - I would always copy the "." surface to a new name first.
- Then make a new layer and set it current.
- The run the GRD (grid) command and Draw the Dots. The spacing will depend upon your settings for the grid size. The dots will be CAD points and have the elevation of the amount of cut/fill at that location.
- You can then run AUTOP to convert those CAD Popints to Survey Points that will be added to the survey database. Those points could then be uploaded to a collector for stakout purposes.
- As Richard mentioned, you may also need to play with the MsModelling menu | Configuration Settings, to allow values below 2 to be used on surfaces, contours, etc.

Something to play with anyway!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby fjt_aus » Tue May 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys!
Turns out we only need the contours for now but I will definitely give your suggestions a shot Glen (jsut so I can learn something new). Would drawing the tin, exploding it a couple of times and the auto adding points to the lines that are left over do the same thing?
fjt_aus

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed May 13, 2009 7:16 am

You can autoadd the points to an exploded tin if you wish. They would be added to the ends of whatever line segments you select. However, that really is going to only duplicate the points that the tin was originally created from. Unless maybe you do not have the original points for this tin, in this drawing.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD