Internal MEM-Error

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Internal MEM-Error

Postby Jerry » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:32 am

Hi,
At times when I am opening AutoCad drawings I get this MEM error over and over, most of the time locking up my computer.
tg_create_char_array
Most of the time I have to reboot my computer. I have a 2gig 768 RAM running Win XP.
I am wondering what is causing this error and if there is anything I can do to prevent it... even if it letting the sender know to use or not to use something in their drawings.
Jerry

Memmory error

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:49 am

Do you have one of those AutoCAD DWG files that I could look at? It might help shed some light on your situation.

If so then please email it to me at [email protected]

I will do what I can to see if I can find the problem and give some recommendations for you.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:54 am

The problem may be that the AutoCad file has Proxy graphics in it.

MsCAD will run out of memory trying to solve it.

Get them to send the file as a Autocad 12 DXF file. He may be using
Autocad2000 and it will write it. This will remove the proxy part of the drawing.

There is one small problem though. If the drawing is very large the DXF will be 5 times larger. I have had problems writing large DXF files with AutoCAD2000.

If you had AutoCAD14 it would also solve your problem. It was the last format that would solve the proxy problem. You would just write a AutoCAD12 drawing and AutoCAD14 would remove the proxy.

So if you can get a DXF file version12 or a Autocad12 drawing. You
should have no problem loading the drawing.

I have Autocad2000 just for that problem. I would delete everything I don't need before I make a DXF 12 file.

I am just guessing what is causing you mem problem, but I have run in to this problem more and more.
rwhatman

MEM errors

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:57 pm

OK – here is what I have found so far: (I also emailed you directly)

I opened the DWG you sent in my copy of AutoCAD2002. I got the Proxy error dialog (As Richard also mentioned).

This means – that they are running an add-on to their AutoCAD that is placing entities into the drawing that we can’t read and even AutoCAD on it’s own can not read or use. The drawing did open but the proxies may be a problem.

I then purged the drawing to keep it clean.

I then saved it as a R2000 DWG and R14 DWG and R12 DXF format.

AutoCAD couldn’t even save it in R12 DXF format – it crashed.

I was not able to open any of these up in MSCAD2002. I get the same errors that you do.

I was finally able to save the DWG from AutoCAD into a R13 DXF format and read it into MSCAD.

The FLX file was 3 times bigger than the original DWG but it did open quite nicely.

I hope this helps,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD