A little help excavating

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

A little help excavating

Postby TheLCSurveyor » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:36 am

I am a student and this is all hypothetical but it would be nice to learn how this is all done. I have a portion of land that i am working with and I have made a topo of it on MSCAD 2010. I need to take a large portion of the land out to level and allow construction of a roadway and buildings. I was wondering if there was a certain command that could help me with this?
TheLCSurveyor

Re: A little help excavating

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi,

You will need to start by extracting your topo points into a surface model using the MsModeling commands. Once you have your surface model created, you can then use our Auto Site Design command to design your building pad, and the AutoRoute commands to design the road. Both the AutoRoute and the Auto Site Design commands will start with a surface model, and use your given paramaters (ie cut/fill slope for the pad, or a horizontal alignment, vertical profile, and template for the road) to build a new design surface.

This is a pretty big question to answer in detail, so i definitely recommend that you start by going through the Earthwork Surface Volume tutorial to learn the basics of surface modeling and the Road Design tutorial to learn some AutoRoute basics. The Getting Started manual is available through your Start menu, Start | Programs | MicroSurvey CAD 2010 | Getting Started.

There is also an extensive series of training movies you can watch that go through these areas of the program (and more!). If you have installed them then the training movies are available through the MicroSurvey CAD Help file, or you can also watch the movies online here:
http://www.microsurvey.com/downloads/movies/mscad.htm

There's a lot to learn, but just take it one step at a time! Good luck!!
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD