How to get elevations between contours

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

How to get elevations between contours

Postby glendon » Mon May 10, 2010 7:06 am

In a grading certificate, some elevations can’t be directly surveyed, and contours can be formed to help get elevations for those point as per required, but how to do that?
Any suggestion appreciated. Thanks
glendon

Re: How to get elevations between contours

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Glendon,
Not sure if i'm understanding your question 100%...
Do you need help generating the surface model and drawing contours? If so please refer to the tutorials in the Getting Started manual, go to Start | Programs | MicroSurvey | MicroSurvey CAD 2010 | Getting Started. There is a tutorial called "data collector tutorial" which explains how to extract points and breaklines to generate a surface and draw contours.
Or do you already have the surface model and contours, and need help determining the elevation of locations between the contour lines? If so, you can use the Track Z command to get spot elevations anywhere on your surface as you move the cursor over the surface it shows you the elevation in the status bar. Type TRACKZ or go to MsModeling | Utilities | Elevation Utilities | Track Z.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby glendon » Thu May 13, 2010 6:24 am

Thanks Brian Sloman, your way works.
I needed to determine the elevation of spots between the contour lines as the title says.
Thank you again.
glendon

Postby raconsultnv » Wed May 26, 2010 7:28 am

Many many times I need the Z between contour lines and or other 3D lines. I hit d for distance,hit shift right click and snap on near snap to the starting point or line and then shift right click and click near snap and then click the next required point or line. Then look on your command line as it will show the z elevation difference between the two entities. You can click on the bullet for close snap so all you do is type d for distance, snap to the first point or line and repeat the process for the second line or point. All snapped entities must be 3D. The reason I use the manual snap is because sometimes I have 10 to 15 or more xrefs tied to my drawings and it is hard to move the curser to the required line or point because it tries to snap to lines on the screen other than the points I want.

I might add MS2010 is the worlds best 3D Cad package ...... I smoke AutoCad2010 every day of the week as several of the people who work for me can attest to as they continue down the path to no-where.
raconsultnv

Return to MicroSurvey CAD