Problem with DRAPE command!!

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Problem with DRAPE command!!

Postby Peter G » Tue May 18, 2010 3:36 am

Hi,

I've been trying to drape a 3D polyline on to a surface. But it breaks up into small 3D Polyline with lots of big gaps, so it doesn't remain one continuous.
Also tried doing the same with a 2D Polyline but having the same results.

Any thoughts Please, bit stuck now as I'm trying to do a volume exercise.

Peter

Running MSCAD 2010
Peter G

Re: Problem with DRAPE command!!

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri May 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Hi, Draping a 3dpolyline onto a surface should work fine, provided that the surface is defined over the entire length of the polyline. If the polyline extends through an area where the surface does not exist (for example if the polyline extends beyond the surface area) then there is no surface elevation data available to drape the line. This could be the cause of your gaps. If not, please submit a helpdesk ticket at www.microsurvey.com/helpdesk and attach your DWG, MSZ, and QSB files to the ticket.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby grainger » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:28 am

What was the conclusion to this problem? It happens to me quite often, I get around it by producing another polyline a few mm (say 10mm) inside the first and draping that, but would like to know how to avoid the problem entirely.
grainger

Postby Peter G » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:11 am

Hi, There was I couple of issues I think. One is that after I had sent all the files to the support team, they were not getting the same problem because they were on the new bata version, whaich has now been released. So make sure you have that.
I think the other issue might have been selecting the drape line as a "boundary", before draping it, and thus it didn't like it.
Hope this helps.

Peter
Peter G

Postby grainger » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:51 pm

I have had success closing the program (not just the job) entirely then re-loading it, re-opening the job, re loading the QSB file then draping exactly the same polyline to that surface. It's not until the polyline has been draped that it gets used as a boundary and breakline.
grainger

Return to MicroSurvey CAD