MSCAD 2005 license transfer

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSCAD 2005 license transfer

Postby cbunker » Sat May 22, 2010 6:05 pm

I've been in the process of switching over to a new laptop (from a desktop PC), and have run into problems transferring my license over to the laptop. For a while, I've been attempting to check out the license from my desktop PC for overnight or weekend use, something that I've done many times in the past (with a different laptop, or my home PC) using the "take home" option. This has never worked for me since starting to use the new laptop (it's been a few months now, so I'm out of the 30 day demo period.) I have been able to check out a license from a different desktop PC at work and use it successfully, however. I was always careful to make sure I had the correct 2nd code from the laptop, and even went so far as to copy it to a text file on our network from the laptop, then copy it back to my desktop and paste it in when prompted for it to take the license home, just to ensure that I had no typos.

This past Friday, I decided to do a permanent license transfer. After following the steps as prompted, I still end up in demo mode on the laptop. Plus, MSCAD on my desktop machine is now disabled.

Both computers are running Windows XP Pro, SP3, with MSCAD 2005 Premium, SP1.3. Any thoughts on what I can do to fix this, or is it easiest to just send in my registration information for the laptop along with an explanation of what has happened, and register this as a new install?
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4
cbunker

Re: MSCAD 2005 license transfer

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue May 25, 2010 8:50 am

Hi, you'll need to send in a registration form for the computer you're transferring it to. MicroSurvey CAD 2005 was the last version in which we used that licensing system, it was replaced with a far more robust USB license key in MicroSurvey CAD 2008, and we've been using it with excellent results since then. With the USB system, to transfer the license to a different computer you simply plug it into whichever computer you want to use.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD