line codes

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

line codes

Postby ballen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:14 pm

Hello, I'm new to Microsurvey's line coding, and a little confused. I've used Eagle Point at a past employer, and am used to the "!" to end a line, the "-" for a curve, a "+" to join a line to it's beginning, and so on. I've been thru the movies and help menus, and can't find a way to do some basic linework, like ending two or more line codes at one point, or beginning two or more line codes at one point. For example, "CL1.CL2" would begin two lines, and "CL1!.CL2!" would end those same two lines at the same point, wherever they might have gone in between. This is almost a necessity for most topos I've shot.

Also, if you have used, say, "CL2" once in a job, can you ever use that same code again without it connecting to a previous CL2?

I'm surely missing something, so any help would be great! Thanks!

Beth
ballen

Re: line codes

Postby T.M. Moretz » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:19 am

There are about three programs to do what you ask though they may be different than what you're used to. The easiest one is connecting points with XYZ coding.
T.M. Moretz

Postby ballen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:23 am

I looked again at the XYZ method and found what I needed; the "*" symbol that allows me to join different lines together. It looks like there is no way to "end" a line, so if you have a big job you might be using CL99 or higher, if you have that many separate CLs?
ballen

Postby John Gallagher » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:48 am

Just curious,what metod of data collection are you using?
E.G. Field Genius,TDS,on board data collection?
This might help to get answers as the folks on this board use a wide variety of tools to gather field data.
John Gallagher
John Gallagher

Postby ballen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:22 pm

I am using a DC-50 collector from Precision Surveying Solutions, which exports as an .asc or RW5. I just noticed the keyboard does not appear to have a *star* key, but I'm sure they can program one in for me if need be.
ballen

Postby fish » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:55 am

To end a line just type the code with no "z".
fish

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:35 pm

XYZ coding would be your best option. Just search the help file for "XYZ" or "XYZ Coding". You can do a lot of the layering and symbol placement using AutoMap, again lots of information in the help file related to this.

Embeding codes in your description is complicated. Next time you all are in the market for data collection you really need to look at FieldGenius. There is no coding in the field needed to do line work. Just watch this movie to learn more.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Return to MicroSurvey CAD