Cant select points or lines just created

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Cant select points or lines just created

Postby Jerry P » Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:39 am

Hello,

There are few times when I start with someone elses drawing... lets say a grading plan, and use it as my base for our staking. When I offset or draw lines, though the lines/points are crated, have properties etc... It will not allow me to click on the point and give that point a description and elevation.

Is there some (no select) type default somewhere I dont know about in MicroSurvey?
Jerry P

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:43 am

So if you run the AutoAdd Points To Objects command (or any other command to add a MicroSurvey point to the end of the line), it does not add the point?

Or is it after a point exists that you can not pick on the point to see the info attached to it?

Thanks,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Jerry P » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:11 pm

The points are there, they have properties, layers, etc... but it will not let me select them to bring up the submenu with the elevation, point number, coords, etc. Also, i can do an entity ident on them and the lines, but i can not just click on the line to bring up the little menu that has the length of line, from what point to what point the line is connected, etc...
Jerry P

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:20 pm

As a work around for the Lines, you can run the CADLines command from under the MicroSurvey menu -> Points/Lines/Curves. This should alsways work to allow you to pick a line to get the info on it. Curves has the same thing.

There is also a toggle for the CADLines and CADCurves, to turn off the ability to just pick the line. But I am not aware of one to do the same thing for the Points.

Are you in a 3D view? We can not pick the points, lines or curves in a 3D view (not unit SP#4 anyway, Service Patch #4 now allows this).

If you can not get past it - please email me the FLX and MSD files for me to examine.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Postby rwhatman » Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:16 pm

Jerry

The Drawing your using is it a MSCAD drawing ?
Can you turn on the Active Database. This will till you
that your Database is correct.

Try running Audit.

I got a MSCAD drawing one time and no database.
I manage to restore the database with Audit.

I have seen this problem a few times.

1. Got MSCAD Drawing and NO database file.
2. Someone copy and pasted the points into the drawing.
3. Got AutoCAD and NO Database file.

Here is few ideas that may be given you a problem.
rwhatman

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Jul 14, 2003 2:43 pm

I have this happen occasionally. The only sure way to get things going has been to save the job, close it, open it with 'Audit' ticked ON and then trust it works. Sometimes I have had to do it twice, but I get there in the end. It is frustrating.
regards
Richard @ DownUnder
Richard Sands

Follow-up

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jul 16, 2003 5:01 am

As a follow-up, for everyones info - Jerry sent me his file and here is what we found.

1) it had been saved in a UCS in AutoCAD
2) the drawing had been rotated so it was not on the UCS or WCS (God knows why)

Once we reset the UCS to the WCS and then rotate the drawing so North was in fact North, the coordinates were then correct in the drawing. We were also able to run the AUTOP command (Autoadd Points to Objects) and add survey points to lines, arcs and points. Then each point could be edited by simply picking on it.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD