Surface Area

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Surface Area

Postby IVANJ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi,
I did a topo of a paved lot with some hills in it. I have created a Surface and Tin along with boundaries. I need to find a surface area of the lot with the data I have collected. The only methd I can find seams to be to create a 3dface. If I do this then I think I am only selecting the outside points of the lot, and not including the points on the hills inside the lot. I will keep searching but any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Ivan
IVANJ

Re: Surface Area

Postby IVANJ » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Hi All,
so I think i have resolved my question, after a few hours of head scratching! Now I think I came up with the answer I needed after I went into Surface Volume (svol). I just put a constant of 1 and it gave me a volume, along with a plan area in which it took from my created surface! I think this works!? If you all see a problem with this way of finding a surface area please let me know!

thanks,

Ivan
IVANJ

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 am

If you draw your surface using 3dfaces, then you can run the command SAREA and select the 3dfaces to use in your calculation. This will give you the surface area for your surface within the 3dfaces you selected.

Cheers,
Glen
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby IVANJ » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:10 am

Just to let everyone that reads this know Svol is NOT the way to go for the Surface area, and the best way is to do the 3dfaces... what I didnt realize is that after you create your tin and draw it on its own layer, then you can explode it and then you have a bunch of polyfaces created that easy!!

hope this clears it up!

thanks all for the help..

Ivan
IVANJ

Return to MicroSurvey CAD