New Dwg - Creates a New Project Directory

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

New Dwg - Creates a New Project Directory

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:55 pm

Not sure what is happening but on odd occasions when I want to create a New Project (.dwg) it actually ends up creating a New Project Directory.
Have a Project Directory 0703_2010. I open that Directory but it wont allow me to create a dwg of the same name as the Director (0703_2010.dwg).
If I type in any other name for the new dwg then all is OK. Just cant create a new dwg that has an identical name to the Project Directory.
When I do try it changes the dialogue box to 'Enter New Directory'

Here's a screen shot that came from a message out of the blue - no 2011 dwg or directory exists.

8-02-2011 9-20-50 AM.jpg
8-02-2011 9-20-50 AM.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 1182 times
Richard Sands

Re: New Dwg - Creates a New Project Directory

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:45 pm

You can always type a folder/path into the File name field in the Save As dialog, so in this example typing "0703_2010" as the filename will open that existing folder rather than create a new file with that name. This is typical Windows behaviour. But, if you add the ".dwg" extension explicitly onto your filename like "0703_2010.dwg" then it will work how you want.

Not sure what's going on with that "2011" file in your screenshot, that's weird - i would switch on the folder option (under the "Organize" menu in Windows Explorer) to show hidden files, its possible that there really is a 2011 file there that Windows is just hiding. Otherwise if it keeps happening, please enter a support ticket at http://www.microsurvey.com/helpdesk
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Re: New Dwg - Creates a New Project Directory

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:17 am

Brian I don't quite see how what I think is an MSCAD only routine to create a new drawing, should playup when the prompt in that dialogue box is for a new Dwg name.

Windows gives an error message if I try to create a new folder inside another that has a file of that same name.
10-Feb-11 9-06-02 PM.jpg
10-Feb-11 9-06-02 PM.jpg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 1158 times

The above is a rather silly attempt at naming new folders.
One doesn't normally name them with a .dwg ending and I can accept the prompt and blocking. But I could quite succesfully in the above directory create a new folder called TWR_1.
Mscad has two options - Create new Directory or Create new drawing.
In my mind I would expect them to work independantly of a file name and take notice of the complete name including the extension.
I have heaps of Directories containing files of varying extensions but all with same name.

I'll keep an eye on the other issue.
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD