Need to Create a berm efficiently

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Need to Create a berm efficiently

Postby ckoenigs » Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:23 pm

I am in a dillema. I am having a difficult time creating a 10 ft high berm. The base of the berm is 1052 elevation on the east side of the berm and a range of 1076 elev on the southwest corner to 1000 elev at the northwest corner.
The base of the berm is 120 wide. The top of the berm is 20 ft wide. I need to create a berm on my drawing that has side slopes no steeper than 3 to 1. I cannot visualize this. Does anyone have a technique to create berms base on these or any dimensions in a step by step procedure that is efficient and easy.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!
ckoenigs

Berm

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:10 am

Are you building the berm up to a speific elevation or 10 feet above what is currently there in all locations? Is the 10 feet above the highest point in the existing berm? Are you allowed to remove material or only bring in material, or just move material around to get the shape of the berm?

If you have a wide enough base to do a 3:1 slope then being that the top is a constant width, I might suggest you try using the AutoRoute routine to create the berm. You would have to extract the existing data to give you a base surface to start from.

You would need a centerline down the middle of the berm - a cross section template to create the top and side slopes - a vertical profile to give the desired elevation of the centerline of the berm. Then applying the template to the horizontal and vertical profiles, it will create a new surface for the shape of the berm.

Then you can create points, contours, or whatever you require to complete the berm.

I hope this helps,

Other ideas are welcome!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Creating Points on the berm

Postby ckoenigs » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:06 am

I sort of understand what you are saying. My options are open on this berm. So whatever would be easiest I will do. I could make the top of the berm at a constant elevation if that were easier.

What is you thoughts?

Also, this may be a dumb question, but how do I create points and assign elevations. And, once I create these points will they blend into or help create better contours ( I just started playign with this software). I have been making all of myu current contours by tracing over existing contours from a top map with polylines and assigning elevations using the celev command.
ckoenigs

Berms

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:54 am

I can't tell you what to do for sure, as I do not know the job and it's requirements or limitations, etc.

I can suggest ways to attack the job but it is ultimately your decission as to what you will do.

Under the MicroSurvey menu -> coordinate Point Utilities -> Store and Edit Points. This allows you to place new points or edit old ones.

If you are extracting the contours that you have traced and assigned elevations to, then you can also extract the new 3D points to the same surface. This will help define and refine the surface.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

All makes perfect sense.

Postby ckoenigs » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:16 am

I understand and did a little homework. I think your suggestion of using the AutoRoute procedure sounds like it may work. From what I can tell I can make the horizontal line first and add points along the way that i can assign elevations to. Then, I create the vertical profile aftrerwards and...wala..the berm will be created. I am sure I will have to practice it a bit first, but hopefully I can get it down to a science. Thanks again, Glen..

This program is getting more enjoyable as time goes on.
ckoenigs

BERMS

Postby Richard Sands » Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:48 am

Not being sure just what is your job I offer this. (I imagine you are into quarrying)
Another way to determine your berm is to use the ‘ISLOPE’ command under the ‘Modelling/ Design/ Intersect slope Menu. Or just type ISLOPE at command line.
This will require a ‘pad’ or bench/ berm to work from and project slopes/ batters up down at your established slopes.

Intersect slope projects a user-specified slope from a 2D or 3D polyline until it intersects the current surface and draws a new 3D polyline where the projected slope and current surface intersect.

You could create a 3D Polyline for your bench or berm the required width and at the levels required. Pick the start levels using your terrain model and any increase in slope of the berm to give the points where the batters start and then run ‘Islope’.
You must be sure your ground model is large enough in area to run the batters out to beyond the cut/ fill line or it wont work.
Once you have the new 3D Polyline you could explode it and then run ‘auto_add_database’ and select the items you want to autonumber. This will give you a set of points at the intersection of your new berm at the required batter slope. It will also give a 'downhill' line which will be probably 'ficticious' and as you are only interested in the 'uphill' batter then this can be ignored.
You can see the model in 3D if you draw the Grid or Tgrid (on its on layer) and then view the model from different Isometric views. Gives a look at what it should look like in the flesh.

Regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Return to MicroSurvey CAD