Flipped template

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Flipped template

Postby Clint » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:46 am

I am running an alignment which runs from South to North along the right edge of a paved highway. I am not worried about the paved side of the alignment so I have a short 0.5m leg on that side of the alignment but have a 5m leg on the right. When I plot the sections the template is flipped with the short leg on the right and the long leg on the left. I have worked around this by creating a mirror of the template I want (long left leg, short right leg) and it plots out fine. What am I doing wrong.
Clint

profile direction

Postby Vincent Popish » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:56 am

The line you use to define the profile is drawn in the wrong direction, reverse the way it is drawn and it will work. Or you can use the define by line and arcs command, in the design menu, and then you can pick the end you want to start with.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby Clint » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:07 am

No I drew the alignment in the correct direction and when I station it the stationings are correct.
Clint

Alignment

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:38 am

It sounds like the alingment is going from Right to Left on the screen (even if it is slightly off north). If this is the case then the Profile, when you extract it, must be draw from Right to Left as well, with the new design profile also going from Right to Left. Then the cross section template should apply to it correctly.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Clint » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:06 am

My alignment runs at approx. 19 degrees (az). Shouldn't an alignment be independent of the direction it is drawn? Alignments will run in any of 360 directions but shouldn't templates always be referenced left and right of the direction of travel. :?:
Clint

Alignment

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:13 pm

MSCAD, as it stands right now, must have the direction defined as Left to Right or Right to Left, so we know which way the Profile is going and which way the templates are going. We hope to change this in the future to keep it simple and allow all alignments to work, no matter which way they are drawn, in a Left to Right format and have the templates assigned accordingly. Until then, this is what we have to work with.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD