xrefs/xlink

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

xrefs/xlink

Postby Ed » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:03 am

Why is the system variable VISRETAIN not working?
Ed

Visretain

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:17 am

I just did a very simple test here and the variable seems to work just fine.

I created 2 drawings - in drawing A I had 2 layers with lines drawn. In drawing B I xlinked in Drawing A. Both layers appeared correctly. I saved the drawing and went back to Drawing A and froze 1 layer. I reopened drawing B and...

When set to 0 the Externally referenced drawings take on the layer settings (on or off, thawed or frozen, etc.) in the current drawing.

When set to 1 The layer settings of externally referenced drawings take precedence. This implies that these settings persist each time you open a drawing with the Xref.

I tried it both ways and the xlinked drawing came is as expected.

Make sure you are running the SP#4 for MSCAD2002, in case there were changes or corrections made to earlier revisions of the program.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Ed » Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:05 am

It wasn't working in my actual drawing, so I tried the same simple test you did and it still didn't work.

How do I check for "SP #4 for MSCAD2002"

Thanx!
Ed
Ed

SP#4

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:15 am

When running the program, in the top left corner it will say MicroSurvey CAD 2002 and then the SP# after it. If it is not SP#4 then updates are available from this web-site under the support menu under MSCAD2002 downloads.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

visretain

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:33 pm

I downloaded the SP #4.

I opened a drawing w/an attached xref.

I set VISRETAIN to 1

I turned off certain layers of the xref.

I saved, closed and re-opened the same drawing.

The layers I previously shut off are back on.

Any other ideas? :x

Postby rwhatman » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:38 am

I did get the same results. Turn off layer that was xref and closed drawing.
Opened drawing and the layer was back on.

SETTING VISRETAIN to 0 or 1 and got the same results.

The Help file says 1 is the defult and yet it seems to be 0 when I open
a drawing.

If you want to control that xref drawing layers. You can always open it and
turn the layers off from there. When you close the drawing and open it
again the layers will be off.
This is not very helpful, but maybe a work around.
rwhatman

Visretain

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:00 am

I think there might be a small miscommunication.

VISRETAIN=1 means the drawing being loaded (drawing A) with the xlink attached (drawing B), will retain the layer settings of the original drawing that is xlinked (drawing B).

So you need to open the drawing that is xlinked (drawing B) and make the change in it for the layer settings. then save that drawing. Now go back to the first drawing (drawing A) with the xref and it will have the layers as they were just set in the other drawing (drawing B).

VISRETAIN=0 means the current drawing's (drawing A) layer settings will rule for layers in the xlinked file (drawing B).

VISRETAIN is only looked at as the drawing is opened and any changes you make after that will be seen as you do them. If set to 1, if you make changes to the xlinked layers in drawing A, save the job and reopen it and the layer settings will revert back to what the original drawing B settings were.

Layer zero will be set based upon the current drawing being that the layer is in both drawings.

I have run several tests here this morning using live real jobs and it is working as it is supposed to in all of my examples.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

visretain

Postby Ed » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:49 am

OK, Glen, I know this is probably getting a little redundant but, let me explain my exact situation and you can tell me if VISRETAIN is the application I need.

I'm working on a subdivision. The "basedwg" is the drawing being referenced in most of the other drawings in the set. 99% of the characteristics in the "basedwg" will need to be shown in those drawings. There are, however, some characteristics which will only remain the same in most of the drawings in the set. For example, on the storm sewer drawings, I want to see the water lines but don't need to see the water notes, so I need to turn of the water notes that are in the "basedwg" without turning them off in the rest of the drawings in the set. It would be inconvenient to go to the "basedwg" every time I open this drawing just to turn off the water notes and then go back and turn them back on again when I'm done. So if I set VISRETAIN to 1 in the storm sewer drawings will my water notes be shut off next time I open them?

Thank You for your patience Glen.
Ed
Ed

Postby rwhatman » Thu Aug 21, 2003 5:54 am

Your right Glen there is a small miscommunication going on.

I think we are all saying the same thing.

What I beleive he is trying to do is Open drawing A xref drawing B.

Turn off Layers in Drawing B while in drawing A.

Now he saves drawing A and open it and finds that Drawing B layers
are all turned on again as the original drawing B where.

You say that you have to go to Drawing B to change those layers.

He does not want to do that. He only wants to control the layers
in drawing A. Is there a way to keep the layers on or off and not
go to Drawing B and make the changes there.
rwhatman

Visretain

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:14 am

Thank you both for clearifying.

I did some more testing and it does appear as though visretain acts as if it were set to 1 all the time and will not honour the setting of 0. So all layer settings for the xlinked drawing will need to be reset in the current drawing each time it is loaded, or set in the original xlink drawing so they are used in the current drawing.

I also did some testing in the next version of the CAD engine (which I have in BETA mode right now) and it does work - although it seems to be in the reverse of what the help says with 1 retaining the layer settings in the current drawing and 0 retaining the original settings in the xlinked drawing.

Sorry I have no other work around right now but at least it does seem to work correctly in the next version of the CAD engine which we will have in the next version of MSCAD (no time frame set for it's release).

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD