Sewer

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Sewer

Postby Vincent Popish » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:40 am

After laying out a sewer system, I then try to use the Sataion/offset/rim command to station the sewer line and it does station the first manhole, then it asks station all? At that point I answer yes and nothing happens. it shows the station for the first manhole, but does nothing to the rest. I tried it in a new drawing, with osnaps on /off, etc. could not get it to work. Just as a side note, I watched the training movie several times thinking I was missing something, but to no avail, I can't get it to work.
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Sewer

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:30 am

When you ran that Station/Offset/Rim command, when the dialog came up, what did you pick for the RIM and for the Station/Offset?

If you are picking by Surface for the RIM, then make sure you have a surface in memory. If you are picking by Keyboard, then it will prompt you for the RIM elevation on each station, stopping at each untill you enter it in.

If you are picking From Alignment, then you must have a road alignment already in the drawing if not it will abort saying there are no POT's in the drawing. If done by keyboard, it will stop on each and ask you to enter in teh value. If done Along Sewer it should work, assuming the sewer is a single continuous run with no branches.

I have created a simple one here by inserting a structure, then connecting to it to add 3 more structures. Then I ran the Station/Offset/Rim command using Each of the 3 options for the RIM and along Sewer for the Station Offset - worked every time for me. (I didn't have an alignment in my test drawing to get offsets from)

I got outputs like:
> SORSEWER
Select first structure:
Enter station: 0
1: STATION = 0+00.00, OFFSET = 0.000, RIM = 493.823
2: STATION = 3+32.34, OFFSET = 0.000, RIM = 493.659
3: STATION = 4+74.42, OFFSET = 0.000, RIM = 495.851
4: STATION = 6+52.44, OFFSET = 0.000, RIM = 498.345

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

sewer continued

Postby Vincent Popish » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:14 am

Try starting with an existing manhole as the one you insert, then connect to it. It then will not station the rest, at least I have tried to get it to station w/o success using elevation from keyboard, along sewer line for alignment. I have been able to get it to work if I say the first is a proposed manhole, just didn't know that was necessary, so didn't think to try that. By the way I am doing all of this using the sanitary option, with 0.20 fall accross manhole and 8" pipe. Still no matter what, if I say it is an existing manhole that I start with, which would nearly always be the case with a sanitary system, I can't get it to work.

Thanks
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Sewers

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:47 am

By Existing, do you mean it is part of another run in the drawing already?

Each manhole (structure) can only belong on one run to be able to station it correctly.

If you need to have 2 runs starting at the same location then make sure you insert a second manhole at the appropriate location.

As long as each run is unique, the Station/Offset/Rim should work.

I just tried one here using what you mentioned and it worked fine for me. It was a unique run and not connected to any previous run. All new runs must start with a new inserted manhole (or other Structure, Existing or Proposed) - then connect to it. Do not try running a branch off of this line without inserting a unique starting structure, don't use a structure from a previous run to start a new run.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

sewer cont.

Postby Vincent Popish » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:01 am

I meant existing structure, not an existing run in the drawing. When I start my layout structure routine, I select existing under condition, and insert my first existing manhole that my new system will hook to. Then I run layout routine again and change the condition to (check box on dialouge box) proposed and add rest of proposed structures. I then try to run station offset rim routine selecting from keyboard for rim elevation and along sewer for the alignment, it then only stations the fist manhole even though I select the yes staion rest button. I can get it to work if I follow your example in the video, and have a system that does not connect to any other system, however in real life we always hook onto an existing manhole and then add to the system.
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

more on sewers

Postby Vincent Popish » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:34 am

Also I noticed somtimes the pipe length does not add up to the stationing, the first station being 0+00, 225.63 length of pipe, but the next station might be 226.85, often just a foot or so off. This is true in both plan and profile parts of sewer. I believe the stationing is right, that is, it has the correct distance from manhole to manhole just the labels for the pipe length are somtimes wrong. Also it does not label the inverts right, often just labeling one of the inverts twice( it gives the right direction but just uses one elevation saying that both inverts are the same.) If I use edit structures and look at the invert elevations all is ok but the label in the profile is wrong. The tag manhole option also will label it wrong. The hard part of all this is that it's not consistant. Some labels are right some are wrong.
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Sewers

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:32 am

I see what you mean. You are correct, it does not like switching from existing to proposed on a single run. I understand why you are doing what you are but the routine will need it to be the same throughout.

I have noted a few minor labeling issues in the past and they are on the list for the programmers to correct.

The lengths sometimes go from center of structure to center of structure instead of being based upon the actual pipe length.

Until this can be corrected, you can edit any of the info you need to by running the attribute editing command (type in ATTEDIT or grab the command from the Parts menu -> Modify Part Attributes (one by one)).

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD