Special Characters

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Special Characters

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu May 16, 2013 6:18 am

From the "Help" file:

'You can use control codes to overscore or underscore text or to include special char­acters. Both overscore and underscore can be active at the same time. To include con­trol codes, as you type text, type two percent symbols (%%) followed by the special control code or character. A single percent sign is treated as a normal text character. A triple-percent control code is provided for those instances where a control-code sequence must follow a percent sign in the text.'

Is there list of what special characters that one can use with %%? I know that I can use:

%%u for Underscore
%%o for Overscore
%%d for Degree Symbol
%%p for Plus/Minus
%%c for Diameter

Is there one for the Delta symbol?

I wish that the "Help" file was a little more helpful in this regard as it is very vague.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Olmsted County Public Works
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Re: Special Characters

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu May 16, 2013 8:39 am

Ok, found this in the 'Using IntelliCAD' concerning Special Characters with a list, though it isn't much longer:

Control code Function
%%o Toggles overscore mode on and off.
%%u Toggles underscore mode on and off.
%%d Draws a degree symbol (º).
%%p Draws the plus-or-minus symbol (±).
%%c Draws the circle diameter symbol (Ø).
%%% Forces a single percent sign.
%%nnn Draws special character number nnn.

Now, is there a list that corresponds to special characters 'nnn'? Or is that based on your text/font style (which I'm guessing it is)?
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Brian Sloman » Thu May 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi, %%nnn is for specifying ASCII character codes. The ASCII character set is an old standard, and codes 0-127 should be fairly consistent from font to font, while the extended ASCII codes 128-255 follow several different standards and do often vary from one font to another. So, combined, there are only 256 ASCII characters, and no unfortunately a Delta sign is not one of them (at least not in Windows' Latin set). In our MSURVEY.SHX font the shape for one of these extended characters (%%130) was replaced with a delta symbol, and that's how the Arc Labeling routine is able to draw a delta - similarly, you can use %%130 to make a Delta symbol if you're using msurvey.shx, while in fonts like Arial %%130 may make a "Single low-9 quotation mark" (it looks like a comma to me), and in other fonts it may make something else entirely.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Eric Anderson » Fri May 17, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks Brian!!
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN