Critical error on opening

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Critical error on opening

Postby Glen Quarmby » Thu Sep 04, 2003 8:42 am

I experienced a problem with Win XP recently which I supposedly fixed with chkdsk. My computer now boots and seems to be fine except when I open any MS Cad file I get a report that there has been a ctitical error and that I should reload the program, which I have done twice with the same result. When copied to another machine the files open fine.
Any suggestions?
Glen Quarmby

Windows

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Sep 04, 2003 10:50 am

It sounds like the Windows on your system did have a problem when reading from the hard drive. The Chkdsk command may have patched or fixed the problem but the file(s) involved may have been program files for MSCAD.

What I might suggest is to uninstall MSCAD - then erase the MSCAD2002 folder and all of it's contents (backup anything critical first of course). Then try reinstalling the program.

This is different than just reinstalling because several configuration files that were generated after the original install will still be there after a reinstall or even an uninstall and reinstall. Erasing the folder after uninstalling, removes those files as well. This is important because it may be one of those configurations files that was actually damaged.

If the password file was undamaged, then the program should open and work fine for you, after completing the reinstall

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD