operating system and computer upgrade

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

operating system and computer upgrade

Postby dennis_mckenney » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:45 am

I am updating my desktop pc that presently runs MSCAD 2015 v15.0.3.1574. Should I get a machine running Windows 10 or continue with 7 Pro? Thanks for any feedback.
dennis_mckenney

Re: operating system and computer upgrade

Postby Brian Sloman » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:47 am

Hi,

MSCAD 2015 works great with both Windows 7, 8/8.1 and 10, so in my opinion a few important factors are:

1) Personal Preference - Some people like having the latest and greatest, others like to stick with what they know. Which are you?

2) Longevity - If you want your new system to last more than 5 years you should go with Windows 10. Windows 7 (which is already 6 years old) has already had it's mainstream support end this year, and it's extended support is scheduled to end in 2020, whereas Windows 10 is scheduled to have its mainstream support end in 2020 and extended support end in 2025. (I'm talking about Microsoft's end-of-support lifecycle, not necessarily the same as support for future MicroSurvey products.)

3) Legacy Peripherals - If you plan to continue using any existing peripherals, make sure they have device drivers available for Windows 10.

Personally, I use Windows 7 at work and Windows 10 at home. I disliked Windows 8, then 8.1 was a little better, but I have been quite happy with 10.

Hope that helps!
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD