Raster conversion

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Raster conversion

Postby Ron Mak » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:51 am

In Ontario, we can now download TIF files of subdivisions. I would like to insert these into MScad and translate the image onto our coordinate base but need to convert it to RLC format first. (NOT RCL as many references have it). I have found one program which is expensive and gives me much more than I want. http://www.hallogram.com/hijaakpro/. Any other suggestions?

As a work-around, I can do a move, scale and rotate the tif image. MS creates a .tif.gri file which seems to contain the paramaters so that when I reload the project the next time, the image inserts back into the same spot. Why do I have to re-insert?

It seems to be quite a coincidence that the scale is 1000 when I choose the correct DPI. Working in metric, I would have expected something different.
Ron Mak

Raster

Postby Glen Cameron » Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:48 am

Hijaak Pro is a great program and has been recommended for many years to convert from 1 raster format to another.

We used to supply a BMP to RLC raster converter with MSCAD2001 but being that MSCAD2002 does allow the import of TIF and BMP files directly now, it was not supplied with the current version.

The TIF and BMP formats do not currently permit any vector transformations.

If you are reopening a drawing that contains a raster image, you may also have to run the command: Initialize Raster System. As long as the FLX and raster files are in the exact same locations on the hard drive, it should then reload the raster for you.

Once any raster image is inserted, with the correct DPI, scale, etc., always ensure you check a distance on the raster compared to the drawing to ensure they match - if not then adjust the scale by the correct amount to correct for the difference.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:48 am

In MSCAD2002, type BMP2RLc at the command line for the function.

cheers

MC

raster

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:48 am

If you don't learn something new each day then it is a bad day in deed.

As long as the Raster Extension has been loaded (initialize raster system) then the BMP2RLC command will work. I had not realized that this had been built into the main program for this version.

Thank You!
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD