New Pointcloud processing system help

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

New Pointcloud processing system help

Postby Jared » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi There

I'm just demoing the 2016 version of Microsurvey CAD and I'm keen to see what the new point cloud system can do. I'm just having a little trouble getting started. The online help resources I have found so far all refer to the older versions which are completely different. I'm sure the new resources are on the way but if I could get a few tips to get me started in the meantime it would be appreciated. Specifically I'm interested in
- how do I load up a .las file?
- do the "find ground" tools still exist, if so where do I find them?
- what about road marking extraction?
Jared

Re: New Pointcloud processing system help

Postby Brian Sloman » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:34 am

Hi,

The help file installed with MicroSurvey CAD 2016 does include help for the new point cloud system, but we still need to build up a library of online training videos.

To load a .las (or .xyz, .pts, .e57, etc...) file into MicroSurvey CAD 2016 Ultimat, the file first needs to be loaded into Leica Cyclone (the free version is fine; you do not need a license for it), and then once the Cyclone database is created you can import it into MicroSurvey CAD using the CWIMPORT command ("Import MSView..." button on the Point Cloud ribbon). This process is documented in this helpdesk article.

Yes, an equivalent to the Grid Survey tool for modeling bare earth does exist, via the CWPONGRID command ("Points on Grid" button on the Point Cloud ribbon). It works a little differently than the old command, but you can use it to accomplish the same thing.

Unfortunately there is currently not an equivalent to the old Road Line Extraction command that we used to have.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD