AutoMap and Layering Attributes

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Postby Bunker » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:27 am

Our office is in the process of transitioning from two pieces of software (AutoCAD and CCSurv) to MS-CAD 2002.

Under our old system, COGO functionality was completed using CCSurv. This software was also used to manually move points to specific layers. (i.e. move point number 93 to boundary layer). When saving the file as a .dxf file for import into CAD, the point, point number, point description, point elevation, and line were all placed on different layers. CAD layers for boundary would look like this:

Boundary-desc.
Boundary-elevation
Boundary-line
Boundary-pt
Boundary-ptno

Is there a way to move elevations specific to a feature to a layer called feature-elevation using the Automap library. It would be nice to automate this process. I see that all points are placed on the mspoints layer automatically as opposed to feature-pt layer.
There will be situations where only specific elevations are to be shown on drawings drafted by our office. Can anyone help with this?
Regards,

T. Bunker
Bunker

AutoMAP Layering options

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:02 am

AutoMAP does have some of the layering options you have inquired about.

The AutoMAP Editor dialog is where you con configure the options for each description.

The Description Text Layer, is where the description (or plotted description, if configured) is placed. This will over-ride the default layering setup in the normal labeling defaults.

If you also pick the check boxes in the bottom left of this dialog, under Move To Layer, then those items will also be placed on the Description Text Layer. if not selected then they go to the labeling default layer.

The Linework can be placed on it's own layer but setting the Z Method and AutoMAP Connection Info: for the layer of your choice.

The labeing default layers are set under the MicroSurvey menu -> MicroSurvey Defaults -> (then pick on each of the point number, description, elevation to set them as desired)

So we do not have the option right now to place each of the Point Number, Decription, Elevation, and actual Point on it's own unique layer for every description you configure. That would sure create a lot of different layers.

I hope this helps explain what options AutoMAP currently has. The help file does also cover this material, along with a couple of technical notes on this web-site.

We do have a few manual procedures that can allow you to grab all the points desired (in several different ways) and move the elevation (or any other attribute) to a unique layer. The Graphic Point Editor and along with the Active Drawing Technology Coordinate Editor, both have the ability to select a range of points (several different methods) and then move the attibutes to a given layer.

Change Point and Object layer - found under the MicroSurvey menu -> Coordinate Point Utilities, is another command for manaul placement of the attributes.

Auditing, updating the drawing from the database, rescaling the drawing, etc. will revert any manual editing of the attributes back to their original default layering. AutoMAP placed attirbutes are uneffected.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Tim Bunker » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:27 am

Glen,

Thank you for the quick repsonse. This information is helpful. Perhaps you can explain the usefulness of coding with and without spaces. I think this is where I am confused. I have spent the weekend trying to create an AutoMap Library on a fairly complicated project. The following is what appears to be happening in the drawing:

Code = tree_mpl 100
while having another code: tree_mpl

Result - all descriptions for the datacollector points recorded with the first code appear on the tree_mpl description layer with the plotted description set by the tree_mpl code.

Is there a way to generate different descriptions for a point coded as the first listed above to have a plotted description different than that in the second code. I understand that tree_mpl drives the layer for which all descriptions for tree_mpl xxx codes appear except the plotted description is appearing as that set by the code tree_mpl from the library.

What I am attempting to accomplish....maybe there is a better way.

All tree descriptions on the same layer called tree_desc. The trees are coded in the field as per their type and size. The plotted description represents their type and size but all of these descriptions are on the tree_desc layer.

Not sure if this is clear the way I've explained myself?
Tim Bunker

AutoMAP Layering options

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:33 am

Typically, as soon as we see a space in the description, AutoMAP stops comparing the description to the library. All points that match the same description in the library are treated the same. Plotted descriptions are used on every point, if they are defined. So each point matching the library has the same plotted description placed on it.

We do have a couple of simple tech notes on AutoMAP that may also help. The second one below discussed the space issue.

http://www.microsurvey.com/support/shar ... ibrary.htm

http://www.microsurvey.com/support/shar ... coding.htm

To place more than one description on the same layer but maintain the unique plotted description, is not possible unless each description was setup in AutoMAP. In this case I would not use a space, maybe use a dash "-" instead, so each description can be setup to do as desired.

There is a scan Dbase button in the library editor, to help make it easier to read in many descirptions and allow you to then confirgure them as desired. Then save the library so the next time you have a starting point and don't have to redo the library - just add to it as you go.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Tim Bunker » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:01 pm

Glen,

Thanks for the information. I got this from the manual but wasn't sure if I was missing something. The manual mentions you can code tree_mpl 100 or tree_mpl100 so that they are treated differently. It does do that...just that it would be handy to sort all trees to a layer but beable to code them as to their type and size without creating multiple library codes/layers.
Tim Bunker

Return to MicroSurvey CAD