GIS and Surveyors

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

GIS and Surveyors

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:12 am

Some time back I posted a query as to what other MSCAD users were using for GIS programs and specifically if anyone had used 'Manifold'. Well I went and bought it and now ask are there any fellow Manifold users out there. For those ignorant to Manifold, it is very cheap at under US$300 and appears to be well endowed with features, but falls down when it comes to producing speci maps. With that in mind I am considering buying a Plug_in for Abobe Illustrator called MAPublisher by Avenza. Does anyone use this and any comments appreciated. What do others use when Esri/ MapInfo cant be warranted on cost and use? I bought GIS (Manifold ) mainly for my work in river rehabilitation where maps are required. I am not a GIS guru, but find it increasingly necessary to have the ability to work in this 'medium'.
How are others facing this issue, do MicroSurvey users feel MicroSurvey maybe able to help here???
regards
Richard Sands
DownUnder
Richard Sands

GIS

Postby Glen Cameron » Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:51 am

Hi Richard,

You might be interested to know that our FGXG2 data collector now has some GIS cabability with attribute collection in the field. We can also export to a shape file that many GIS programs can import.

You may wish to check this out in the FieldGenius section on this web-site. For a demo or other information, please feel free to contact your sales rep and they will get you what you need (FieldGenius is also avaiable for download, if desired).

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

GIS Field Genius

Postby Richard Sands » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:07 pm

Thanks Glenn
How about a live demo? Can that be arranged? I'm sure Darcy could spare you or someone for a short promotional stint. Any takers?
Regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Demo

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Oct 19, 2003 7:02 am

Hi Richard,

Pretty much any of the sales reps can do an online demo. If they are not available then Jason Poitras will do one. Being I am not in the sales side of things I do not normally do demos. I just do my best at supporting the product lines we have.

Either give a quick phone call or email to Ed Henderson, and he will look after you.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2003 4:05 pm

Hi Richard,

A Geographic Information System (GIS) is a software application which integrates mapping and database storage into a graphical system for querying and manipulating data with related geographical positions. Land surveyors often provide their services to various government departments by supplying a database of infrastructure positions and associated attributes to populate a GIS. Data sets for a GIS can include basic utilities (electric, gas, water, sewer), transportation and communication networks. To supply GIS data sets to customers or other departments, the surveyor requires a few basic tools for collecting the data in the field, doing quality control and editing prior to delivery and exporting the data to a suitable file format to the client.

FieldGenius from MicroSurvey Software is a data collection program for use in the field. When used with instruments such as total stations and GPS, it becomes a powerful tool for quickly creating GIS data sets. In addition, FieldGenius supports the assignment of user defined attributes to collected features and the ability to export data to the widely used Shapefile format. The majority of government agencies and private firms heavily depend on ESRI (Environmental Systems Research Institute) (www.esri.com) GIS products for managing their infrastructures. ESRI provides a wide range of products ranging from a free data viewer to comprehensive packages which can manipulate and analyze data.

Murray Shirley, P.Eng.
GPS Development Manager

Return to MicroSurvey CAD