Points and layers - Manipulation of.

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Points and layers - Manipulation of.

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:14 am

A lot of my jobs involve design work and in presenting it to clients I move points and elevations about different layers for various reasons. It is also very useful in modelling different aspects of the job This is not able to be done in AutoMap and I use ‘LAYER_MOVE’ or within Active Editor.
I would like to see a feature within say ‘LAYER_MOVE’ whereby like AutoMap one could apply a preset to various point descriptions to move their attributes about. I do not favour AutoMap in its present form as it resets all points once it is invoked and any moves or changes etc within the CAD side are then lost.
This would save a lot of tedious 'hand' work.
What do other users feel about this?
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

POINT LAYERS

Postby Vincent Popish » Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:41 pm

I agree, it would be very nice to be able to manipulate point layers, and not have rescale set them all back to the preset layers. Generally, if any command is used on the points it puts them all back on the designated layer, which can be a pain.
Thanks,
Vince Popish
Vincent Popish

Postby rwhatman » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:02 pm

This was best feature when you want to rescale a drawing, but your right it
is also a pain at times. You have to do all your moving of points right at the beginning or it can lead to hours of extra work.

I have AutoMap place blocks and move points to a control layer.

That all I use it for. This does save hours of time.

I hope some day that Automap is updated. Have some sort of Layer exclusion list built into the program and much more.

Hey I can't think of them all :)
rwhatman

Point Editing

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:07 pm

We agree with you both as well and it is on the list for the programmers to work on when they are able.

AutoMAP can put the points on user defined layers but as you have mentioned, if the description or elevation is moved in relation too the point or manually chnaged to a new layer, if you rescale the drawing, update the drawing from the database, or run AutoMAP a subsequent time, it will put things back to the default location and layer, based upon how AutoMAP is configured.

There are always things that can be done to improve the program and we keep track of all suggestions made by everyone. The programmers will do what they can, as fast as they are able.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby cbunker » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:35 pm

Glen,

I'm assuming that the point and layer information is stored within the MSCAD database. Since AutoMAP cannot move descriptions, points, elevations, etc. to their own layers, as I (and others, apparently) would like to do, is there some way to manipulate the MSCAD database through a third party application, such as Access, Excel, or something else? Can I open the database in one of these applications, or export it as a text file, make my layer changes, then import my changes back into MSCAD?

Alternatively, can we create a LISP routine to manipulate the layers and point attributes? I've searched your site for the LISP information that the help file says is there, but I cannot find it. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Chris
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4
cbunker

LISP Extensions

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:21 am

Hi Chris,

http://www.microsurvey.com/support/shar ... ctions.htm

This technical note is the information we provide to allow customers the option and abaility to hook into our database to customize it a bit.

These are about the only options for customers to access data in the database, that I am aware of.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Return to MicroSurvey CAD