Drawing Contours from Point Data

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Drawing Contours from Point Data

Postby Bunker » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:10 am

Just attempting to draw some contours on a topographical survey for a client. It appears that the only points that are exported to the surface are those that were left on the default layer (MSPOINT), even when selecting all visible by pressing enter. Is this correct? If ground points were moved to a layer called Trees would these points no longer be exported to the surface for contour generation etc...?

In trying to think ahead, points for which the contours were to be generated from were moved to separate layers (the elevations on some shots are to be ignored). I guess the points will have to be re-imported/re-sorted to generate the contours...or am I missing something.

Regards,

Tim
Regards,

T. Bunker
Bunker

Postby Bunker » Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:20 am

Just found the Filter by Z functionality. I guess this could be used in the future to extract only the points whose elevations are to be used for the generation of the contours. It would be handy to have the points available from different layers though. I think in the case for this client, the points for the trees still need to be separated out from other points so that they may be toggled on and off. ...otherwise there would be an overwhelming amount of information being illustrated at one time.

Regards,

Tim
Regards,

T. Bunker
Bunker

surfaces

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:48 am

A surface can be generated from any valid 3D data. It does not matter what layer the data is on. By default, any data lower than 2 in elevation are not extracted to the surface.

There are filters to help you control what you extract, as you apparently have located. You can extract by elevation, layer or entity. (Modeling menu -> configuration settings -> Data Extraction. Filter by layer allows you to extract from any one layer. Filter by elevation allows you to give it the low and high range to extract between. Filter by entity allows you to select the tyype of data to extract, so if you want lines only, or points only, you can select those and then window the entire drawing, only what you have selected will be filtered and used from the drawing.

You can freeze layers and not have this data used for the surface. If the text for the data is on screen, the point will not be extracted, unless it too is on screen.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby Bunker » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:31 pm

Thanks Glen. I will try my selection again using my original drawing. I wasn't using the extraction functionality the first go around but used the default option of selecting everything in the current view (which contained two layers containing points....MSPOINT and my Tree layer). It appeared that only the points from MSPOINT were being selected using this method. I will check the settings under the extraction option to see if this was impacting on the reaction I received. Perhaps there was something I was missing (maybe a layer filter was set to MSPOINT). :wink:

I need to play around with this functionality a little more to become more familiar with it. Unfortunately there is ony so much time in any given day. :)
Regards,

T. Bunker
Bunker

Return to MicroSurvey CAD