MicroSurvey--Ranger without TDS software?

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MicroSurvey--Ranger without TDS software?

Postby ianw2 » Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:49 pm

I’m really getting tired of using TDS ForeSightDXM to download from my Ranger. It’s a cumbersome program that really doesn’t do the job well. One of the many reasons I went to MSCAD was the download routines for my old HP48GX data collection system. MSCAD worked more reliably and efficiently than TDS own download program.

Is there a download system in the up-coming release that will get me back to using MSCAD and not having to rely on TDS download products? Do I have to break down and buy FieldGenius?

BTW…any news on the training schedule?
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Ranger

Postby Glen Cameron » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:45 am

To my knowledge, the Ranger downloads via Active Sync. If this is the case, can you not simply copy the files from the Ranger to your hard drive (using the Explore option in Active Sync) without the use of their program or our for that matter?

Now I do not know what files they create on their unit, so you may need their program to do some conversions into a format that other programs can use.

But if you can copy a RAW or RW5 file directly from the Ranger to the hard drive, then in MSCAD you can import that file directly.

Field Genius is always an alternative, if you wish.

Training, I will leave this for Jason to answer, as it is his department. It might make it easier to ask it again in the Training forum area (just so others don't miss the post being buried in here).

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby ianw2 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:58 am

The problem as I see it is two-fold.

ActivSync is the most obstreperous beast of a transfer program ever conceived! It seems to be capricious in its operations and refuses to resond on the most critical of occasions. Its ability to hog the resources of a computer are overwhelming.

TDS, for whatever reason, has never appeared to me as being a company interested in making their products work like surveyors think. (A problem that MicroSurvey has NEVER had!) As a consequence, their routines are cumbersome and very un-intuitive (another problem that MicroSurvey has NEVER had).

Believe me, Glen, I have been looking at FieldGenius with great interest. Assuming that our business is still doing well come April, I will get some hands on experience with the product at the CLSA Show in Las Vegas. You, meaing MicroSurvey, are going to be there, aren't you?
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Return to MicroSurvey CAD