Problems saving a drawing containing a raster image

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Problems saving a drawing containing a raster image

Postby cbunker » Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:34 pm

:? It looks like this is a known problem, and I'm hoping that there is a solution or a work-around...

I've been trying to create a template drawing that contains a raster image and a line of text, and I've run into this same problem on multiple machines .

When I insert an image (either as a .BMP or .TIF, both cause the same problem), it inserts fine. I can manipulate it, etc. as need be. When I save the drawing for the first time, I see this message:

SAVE
...List of rasterfiles saved for: C:\JOBS2000\TEST\TEST.FLX

Now, everything is good. I can close the drawing and re-open it and see my image. However, if I try to save a second time after making changes, I get this message:

SAVE
unable to find drawingname in fdt_flxnames

It does not seem to matter if I initialize the raster system before inserting the image or not, I still get the same error.

Now, if I try to insert the drawing with the raster image in it that saved properly as a part into another drawing, I see nothing other than the line of text - the image is gone.

It seems as though there are some issues with inserting images into drawings, or else I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone help?

Chris
Chris Bunker, BMath, O.L.S., C.L.S.
T. A. Bunker Surveying Ltd.
150 John St. N., P.O. Box 1180
Gravenhurst, ON P1P 1V4
cbunker

Rasters

Postby Glen Cameron » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:04 pm

Hi Chris,

A raster image is never really part of a FLX file. It is simply overlayed on top of the drawing. When you load the drawing up again later, the raster is reloaded and overlayed once again.

You can not insert an FLX into another drawing and have it's raster go along with it. The raster is not in the FLX so it will not get inserted into the other drawing. You would manually have to insert it via the raster menu.

When you mention a template drawing, are you using some sort of company logo in raster format? You will find it much better and easier to trace the logo and save it as a part that can then be inserted into a template drawing, or inserted into any job, as desired, and have it become a part of the actual FLX file.

Template drawings will also not permit the use of Raster images. The only use of rasters is to manually insert them on top of the current job - save it - and reload the drawing in the future, if required. They will not transfer to any other drawing in any other way being they are not part of the FLX and just an overlay.

I hope this helps clarify things on the raster issue.

Cheers,
Last edited by Glen Cameron on Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Postby ianw2 » Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:21 pm

I have had the same problem, Glen. Yes, I'm using a raster image of my logo.

My work around has involved a bit of "security", too. When I send out an electronic file, the logo, of course does not go with it. In the template, where the logo fits, I have a tect line that says "Not IWLS Product". This is "inked" over when the logo is in place. In other words, if I plot the file in my office, the text doesn't show. If you plot the same file in your office, the text shows. That way, if someone calls to complain about my plot, I can ask them about the logo. If it isn't there and they see the text, I didn't plot it and I can and won't support it. 8)

My logo and my template are set up so that I know exactly where to plop the logo in model space. The size is always the same. There is a nice box on a layer called "VIEWPORT". I use the box to define a view called "LOGO". In paperspace, the template has a diagonal line runing from upperleft to lower right of my logo box. I create a viewport with a named view called "LOGO". Before plotting, I freeze the VIEWPORT layer. Bingo! Logo shows up in my plots.

So I make lemonade when you give me lemons. Sue me! Mazel tov! :shock:

So, when's Jason gonna set up a training schedule? Do I have to have him kidnapped and brought down here for a training class? :D
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Rasters

Postby Glen Cameron » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:36 am

Hi Ian,

I see you have taken a minor issue of the raster not going with the drawing, and made it work as a security feature. So it is not a problem - it is a feature! Nice work around!

But you do still have to insert it in each job manually. Using Layout Mode (Paper Space) is not something that everyone can get there mind around. It is a very handy set of tools but can confuse many of the people out there that have not been trained. Kudos to you for mastering it, and with rasters as well, no less.

In case you were not aware, we are in the tail end of the process of creating a new version of MSCAD and that has been taking all of Jason's time and energy lately. As soon as the program is out, I would suggest emailing him directly and see what he is looking at setting up in the way of time frames, for the training classes.

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Humbling

Postby Darcy Detlor » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:19 pm

It's always great to see that our customers are smarter than we are.

Good one!

:D
Darcy Detlor,
President,
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
[email protected]
Darcy Detlor
Site Admin

Postby ianw2 » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:44 pm

I understand your comment about paperspace. I could never get it work properly in AutoCAD®.

However, the paperspace routine in MSCAD is unbelievably intuitive and easy to use. I hate to sound patronizing or condescending, Darcy and Glen, but I would direct your attention to the following link: http://www.microsurvey.com/support/shar ... t_mode.htm

I printed that out one evening and haven’t made a map without using paper space since. Every file is at 1:1 scale. All of my standard templates have set viewport boxes ready for use. My maps are ready to roll in considerably less time. Details are incredibly easy.

You guys made the tools; I just use 'em!

I know Jason is buried in getting MSCAD 2004 out the door. Put me down for a pair of copies as soon as they’re available. However, I’ve got a wife who’s just itching to leave her job and come to work for me full time. She’s done well with the tutorials, but really wants some hands on training. I think she’d like to get a trip to Kelowna out of it, too.

If Jason turns up missing one day, you’ll probably find him handcuffed to a desk here at our office running a training class.

Cheers all! And a Happy and Prosperous New Year to everyone.
Ian Wilson
Ian Wilson Land Surveying, Inc.
Temecula CA 92591
(951) 684-1044
ianw2

Return to MicroSurvey CAD